Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning! I'm happy to be able to find a place where we can share questions and concerns. I've found that knitting and crocheting people are so fun to "chat" with! We have alot of things in common that other people would just roll their eye at! Thanks for having this website!!!
Sue H

· Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, KnitterMama!!!
I haven't yet challenged circular or double pointed needles-oh wait I did once, and they ended up getting tossed across the room!!! The double pointed are not my friends yet! Have lots of big plans to also learn the cable stitch, which I know isn't hard, I just need to get on the video websites and take my time!
Thanks for the "Welcome"!!
Sue

· Registered
221 Posts
Hi, Sue,
Carole044 here. I do all my knitting on circular needles. I knit a lot of afghans and baby blankets sitting in my reclining chair. Straight needles hit the arms of the chair and with circular needles I don't have that problem.

· Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Carole!
I do use the circular for my larger projects, but haven't quite gotten the knack of using them for hats, or "continuous" patterns yet. And you're right-the straight needles tend to interfere with my rocking!!!!!

· Registered
221 Posts
Sue,
If you're going to learn to do cables may I suggest you try the "u" shaped cable needle. When you take off the stitches the needle can be dropped down out of the way until you're ready to pick up those stitches.

Carole044

· Premium Member
13,047 Posts
Sue - If you want to learn to use dpn's, I recommend that you don't start with something that is made entirely on dpn's. The hardest part of working with those suckers is joining and working the first couple of rounds. That's when the needles want to flop all over the place like a spider on crack! Start with a simple bottom-up knitted hat that you begin on a 16" circular needle. Then switch to the dpn's when you get to the crown and have to start decreasing. Once you get a feel for them they're not nearly so scary. Remember - you're still only knitting with 2 needles at a time. The rest are just holding the remaining stitches until you get around to them. On that note... I also recommend wood or bamboo dpn's. They grip the yarn more than metal needles, so you won't be nearly as likely to look down an discover a naked needle in you lap and a row of orphaned stitches flapping in the breeze. You will only be holding on to two needles at any given time, so if the other 2 or 3 can grip the stitches and hold on to them without your help, it's so much better.

· Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Geez everyone, thanks for all the tips!!! I'll try the circular hat and work into the dpn's. I did try that once, but ended up working off both ends of the needles and it was just a plain mess!!! Must not have been in the right frame of mind!
Right now I'm making baby "blankies" for one of our local NICU/Nursery. I found out they like to use these for the premies and, sadly enuff, the stillborn babys. My neice went thru a stillborn experience almost 2 yrs ago, so I'm on a mission!! Nursery hats, chemo hats, military skull caps, scarves & tube socks are pretty much on my agenda!!
You guys are great!! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom