Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was shown how to knit when I was pregnant with my now 7 yr old while visiting a friend and her family. I couldn't know anything but knit, no P YO SSt.... (okay still not the latter.....). Worst of all I couldn't bind off! When we was 3 or 4 I picked up some yarn and a teach yourself to knit by Evie Rosen, still couldn't grasp the binding off thing, and thats really all I wanted to figure out at the time since if you can't bind off whats the point?! Now, this past November I started it up again. YouTube helped a lot. And my husband (shhh). It was slow start but I'm a bit faster now. I knit a scarf as my first project for practice. Rainbow variagated yarl. My 5 yr old daughters watched from time to time and towards the end asked "Can I have it mommy?" "I guess, if you really want it. Its just for me to practice so I can really start making you guys things (had some knits and purls reversed in a couple places, and I foolishly picked a think yarn and #3 needles)." "I don't care, its beautiful and YOU made it!" I finally finished it last week! I did put it down for a few weeks a couple times. It was stipulated that I had to finish it before I could start a new project, to ensure I'd finish it! Wise husband. So when I didn't want to knit IT I didn't knit at all.
Now I am making a baby blanket for my friend, a simple knit with YO's, I may add ribbon to the eyelets.
So thats my beginnig to knitting..... I want try more advanced patterns, to learn other stitches and improve my skill and confidence. I'm also "instant cocoa" as my husband says. I think I'll try to crochet soon, I love knit sweaters/cardians/hats etc with little crocheted embellishments and want to make them myself. I picked up knitting thinking it was an inexpensive hobby only to find that for me its addictive, I love the colors and different yarns, so while the budget is tight I'll have to say "no" to myself a lot or I'll spend a ton. We are very tall and I thought knitting a few sweaters for us myself would save money. I have a big yarn store and a locale yarn shop, I prefer the latter, which will make it more expensive.... And a friend from HS owns an online yarn site. (DarnGoodYarn.com). I hope to one day be able to teach my daughter to knit, though I have to "understand" knitting first, not just be able to do it. Its like math for me so far- I didn't get it, but could do it.
......I'm Emily, I'm married, I have 3 kids and 2 dogs. And I like to knit.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((((((( LOL! Welcome! I sure remember learning to BO, too!!

Lots of luck wish your ambitions!

Hey, we have 38+ animals here on our acreage. It's a virtual zoo and we live in it!!

I should be saving llama fur but, hey......that's a lot of work to just get them sheared! LOL!!

Donna Rae
Brandon, Iowa ))))))))))

veverita
MsMallo said:
I was shown how to knit when I was pregnant with my now 7 yr old while visiting a friend and her family. I couldn't know anything but knit, no P YO SSt.... (okay still not the latter.....). Worst of all I couldn't bind off! When we was 3 or 4 I picked up some yarn and a teach yourself to knit by Evie Rosen, still couldn't grasp the binding off thing, and thats really all I wanted to figure out at the time since if you can't bind off whats the point?! Now, this past November I started it up again. YouTube helped a lot. And my husband (shhh). It was slow start but I'm a bit faster now. I knit a scarf as my first project for practice. Rainbow variagated yarl. My 5 yr old daughters watched from time to time and towards the end asked "Can I have it mommy?" "I guess, if you really want it. Its just for me to practice so I can really start making you guys things (had some knits and purls reversed in a couple places, and I foolishly picked a think yarn and #3 needles)." "I don't care, its beautiful and YOU made it!" I finally finished it last week! I did put it down for a few weeks a couple times. It was stipulated that I had to finish it before I could start a new project, to ensure I'd finish it! Wise husband. So when I didn't want to knit IT I didn't knit at all.
Now I am making a baby blanket for my friend, a simple knit with YO's, I may add ribbon to the eyelets.
So thats my beginnig to knitting..... I want try more advanced patterns, to learn other stitches and improve my skill and confidence. I'm also "instant cocoa" as my husband says. I think I'll try to crochet soon, I love knit sweaters/cardians/hats etc with little crocheted embellishments and want to make them myself. I picked up knitting thinking it was an inexpensive hobby only to find that for me its addictive, I love the colors and different yarns, so while the budget is tight I'll have to say "no" to myself a lot or I'll spend a ton. We are very tall and I thought knitting a few sweaters for us myself would save money. I have a big yarn store and a locale yarn shop, I prefer the latter, which will make it more expensive.... And a friend from HS owns an online yarn site. (DarnGoodYarn.com). I hope to one day be able to teach my daughter to knit, though I have to "understand" knitting first, not just be able to do it. Its like math for me so far- I didn't get it, but could do it.
......I'm Emily, I'm married, I have 3 kids and 2 dogs. And I like to knit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom