Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi..i am trying to knit a flowery hat. Needles required are 8mm/0 UK/11 US.

I have a pair of 8's...are these right?

I tried using them and checking the tension...but where the work should have measured 4 ins, mine was only 2.

Why is it going wrong?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi. I am thinking you may be using a size '8' US and not an '11' US. Check and see If there is any other markings on the needle like an 'mm'. The different sizes are listed for people everywhere... Some countries use 'mm' sizing, UK has there sizing an US has theirs... Unfortunately a size '8' is not a size '8' everywhere.
Hope this makes sense. Good Luck to you.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Welcome to KP and to knitting! You will find that most patterns give the needle size in millimeters and US size and sometimes in UK size. Watch it closely.

What you need for your pattern is US 11. If you are getting 2 inches with the 8, you should be right on or close with the 11.

I rarely am able to use the size the pattern suggests if it is straight needles because I think I knit tighter on them. On circulars I must knit looser because I can usually use the suggessted size. You will have to swatch and find the size that works for each pattern.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your reply. I realise that the size 8 needle that I used is obviously not what is needed. I checked the needles, but there's no other print visible.....

The instructions are printed in Australia, so which of the sizes do you think I should follow - mm, UK or US?

·
Premium Member
81,260 Posts
jennifer1 said:
Thanks for your reply. I realise that the size 8 needle that I used is obviously not what is needed. I checked the needles, but there's no other print visible.....

The instructions are printed in Australia, so which of the sizes do you think I should follow - mm, UK or US?
You already wrote: "Needles required are 8mm/0 UK/11 US." 8mm is equal to 0 UK is equal to 11 US. They're all the same actual size, just labeled for three different systems.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Find needles that either say 11 for US or 8.0 MM (make sure they say mm) or '0' UK. The needles will be the same size. This is what you need. If you are in the United States. Chances are if you go to the store (even a Walmart that has crafts) the needles will say at the top 'Size 11' and '8.0 MM' hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
jennifer1 said:
hi..i am trying to knit a flowery hat. Needles required are 8mm/0 UK/11 US.
You indicate here that the pattern calls for 8mm/0 UK/11 US ... they are all the same size.

A size 11 US is 8mm as is the size 0 UK. If you are using US sized needles, you need to try an 11.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
once again, Jessica-Jean, you have come to the rescue of not only the knitter with the question, but also me. There are probably many others that welcome your knowledge. Thanx for the chart.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
once again, Jessica-Jean, you have come to the rescue of not only the knitter with the question, but also me. There are probably many others that welcome your knowledge. Thanx for the chart.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
The above answers are correct. You should be using the 11 U.S. Some of us knit with a different tension and adjust our
needle size accordingly. Try doing a swatch with a size 11 U.S.needle.

·
Registered
19,648 Posts
As you are in Australia, if you haven't got an old UK pair of size 0, then you will need to buy a pair of 8mm.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom