Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is May and I live in Atlanta, GA. Knitting is something I love and I've been doing it since I was a teenager. Born and raised in Lima Peru, I grew up surrounded by intense colors and the textures of weaving and knitting. The wool is fantastic, so is our alpaca yarn.
Knitting is, for me, a way to meditate, to think things through and certainly a creative outlet.
I look forward to reading the posts, making new friends, sharing and learn as well as hopefully help if I can.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Hi, I live about 23mi. sw of Dothan Al. learned to knit several years ago but dropped it for a while, started back about a year ago. Your energy balls are beautiful, I have never heard of them. Is there a history behind them? Where can I find the pattern? I would like to do them for the boys teachers .
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi there,
Thank you....
Actually, the "energy balls" are a new name for a Holiday Ornament pattern by Lion Brand that I found online.
The pattern number is: 81008AD.
It lends itself to creativity, if we are open to try different color combinations and details...
May in Atlanta

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The ball with the beads embroidered on it, I gave to my dancing teacher ... she named it the Energy Ball and plans on having it hanging in her studio all year long... the colors are not "Christmasy".. as you can see ...
Stay in touch, let me know how the EBs are coming along... :)

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
I looked up the pattern last night, plan to start one tomorrow while I am helping the girls with a sewing class I have two grand-daughters who are learning to sew , that will be fun. I'll keep you up dated on my progress. Thanks

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glenda,
How wonderful to be teaching your granddaughters how to sew... I grew up around sewing, because my mother was always making something and I watched her cut, and the rest. Knitting I learned by myself... and I am so trankful for it. Seems that I always turn to art, creating something instead of picking up the phone and commiserating with others ... I prefer to deal with my "issues" in a private and meditative fashion.
I plan on telling my dancing teacher that the Energy Balls are now being made nationwide.
Have a great day... I am trying to figure out a knitting pattern from an old afghan... I got one part figured out but not the other... patience, patience...
May

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I made it up... cast on a number of stitches, did some garter stitch, I believe, then some ribbing ... the middle of the scarf is knit in garter stitch, which widened the scarf, and it could be folded in two for warmth, then ribbing again and garter stitch at the end. I'll have to look at the picture to refresh my mind.
Nice to hear that you are in Georgia too... :)
Stay in touch...
May

·
Registered
179 Posts
Lucky Martha to receive such a great scarf. I love the colors, and I love your choice of patterns. I have never tried to do a ribbing in the middle of a pattern, but I love how it changes the shape and it flows really nice. Very nice.
And what pattern are you trying to figure out for your afghan? I hope you tackle it.
I had a baby sweater from my mother in law with owls knitted in the yolk. So fun, and now with two grandbabies due in the spring,(and owls so popular with the young moms) I sat down with a sweater of hers from the 70's and figured out how to knit that little owl. So it can be done.
Thanks for sharing your scarf.
Question, when you make these using alpaca or some kind of wool, how do you wash these? Or are they gentle washable.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nan?? got the name right?
Good, good, good... congratulations of making the little owls...
I am still figuring out my puzzle...
The main design I got... it is the in between yarn overs that are not looking like the original afghan...
Finally found something online and in a book... it is called faggoting and that is what I am trying to achieve, but the yarn overs have to be made in a certain direction, plus on the reverse side, they are knit as they were made to start with, or the stitch twists and it is just a regular yarn over!!
I'll crack it ... I think I am getting there.
The scarf I made for Martha is washable, but I would not put it in the washing machine... no problem to fill up a basin with some mild detergent and lukewarm water... then carefully rinse it without wringing and placing it flat on a thick towel on a table to dry.
Thanks for your comments. I'll tell Martha her scarf is a hit... told my teacher about the Energy Balls and now she feels famous.. :)
Ciao, May

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you so much...
I see that your name is KnitLogical... have been working on figuring out an afghan stitch and eventually I'll get it although it is frustrating at times ... I am learning more and more about the logic of knitting.
One of the men in my sockkniters group said that knitting requires technical and math skills... oh yes!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom