Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
12,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just got a new - 2nd hand - spinning wheel. From a shop where they could tell me nothing about it - hehe, not even if it's working or decorative. I do believe it's a 'real" one. Not antique, it's wooden and obviously made not long ago and not as a DIY project, one can say the wood was worked on a contemporary wood-turning lathe. But it was lacking the strap. Since I have no idea what brand or anything it is... I wonder if I can do anything else for finding a correct one (beside somehow making something - well, making my hubby make something - from some straps he can find...).
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Good luck to you! I remember reading that some people have used the foot panel & wheel from old
treadle sewing machines to make spinning wheels for spinning wool. Maybe you could find an old
leather strap from one of those that is beyond repair, for your own needs. You need a second-hand
place that sells old things that are very cheap, so you can get a bargain & get your wheel moving.
Good luck!
Moisey

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
If you Google "identifying spinning Wheels" and go to Images you might find it there and so learn a bit of its history. I have found a lot of my information on my wheels there ... It could be the first of many :) Glad your find has gone to a good home.

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
If you can show us a photo of the wheel, we might be able to identify it for you.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I found a spinner through Google. I took it to her and she was able to tell me everything about it. I left it with her so she could give it a "tuneup"!

·
Registered
12,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are some pictures - not great quality, I'm afraid.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
What a beautiful wheel!

It's the drive band that appears to be missing.

·
Registered
12,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IndigoSpinner said:
What a beautiful wheel!

It's the drive band that appears to be missing.
Thanks!
I had no idea what it's called - and it's very hard to look for something I don't even know the name of...

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
HandyFamily said:
Thanks!
I had no idea what it's called - and it's very hard to look for something I don't even know the name of...
This should help:

http://www.joyofhandspinning.com/storefront/en-us/dept_48.html

They look a little different on different kinds of spinning wheels.

http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/04/parts-of-a-spinning-wheel/

http://norsewoodsmith.com/content/spinning-wheel-de-constructing-original

https://halcyonyarn.com/news/how-to-choose-a-spinning-wheel/17969

You might have to scroll down on some of these pages.

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
Did you get more than one bobbin with it?

If not, you'll probably want to find a woodworker who can duplicate the bobbin you have for you and make a few more.

·
Registered
12,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I only have one bobbin... Ha, the people from the ship I got it from didn't even know if it was working or decorative. I guess I'll just have to make do with one... I do need the drive band much more.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I use twine fron walmart for a drive band, just tie it until it's tight enough to turn the wheel. Also, measure the outside diameter s of the bobbin, bobbin orfice, and how wide the ends are because places like Ashford can replace bobbins. Adjust the scotch tension. Rub her down with warm linseed oil and fire that baby up! Have fun!

·
Registered
11,515 Posts
Rarely look through the section - delighted to see your new wheel - yes, you can jury-rig a drive band, it is not computer science, until you identify your wheel and get the proper one. Wondering why this was not in our new section for spinning and weaving?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom