Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am new to crocheting and I am looking to start on my first project but am not sure how to get started. Any Ideas or help would be great. I have been practicing with a scrap ball of yarn and a spare hook.(thank you Jolene) I just am looking for a quick and easy pattern to get me going.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
scarlett2 said:
Hi! I am new to crocheting and I am looking to start on my first project but am not sure how to get started. Any Ideas or help would be great. I have been practicing with a scrap ball of yarn and a spare hook.(thank you Jolene) I just am looking for a quick and easy pattern to get me going.
((((((((( Scarlett: Welcome! I knit and crochet; 1970 & 1973. There are teriffic youtube videos to help you and you can work at your leisure. First learn how to make a:

Slip knot
Chain
SC (single crochet)
............later, add:
HDC (half double crochet)
DC (Double crochet)
Pattern reading perhaps would come next - the net has tons of info on crochet abbreviations, other stitches, etc.

If I can help you along the way, hail be!

Donna Rae
Brandon, Iowa )))))))))))))))

·
Registered
306 Posts
Bernat.com is good for searching patterns. they give you easy ways to search. You just click on beginner patterns. choose your level of knit or crochet. it lets you refine your search.
sometimes you know you want to start something but you have no idea if you want a scarf , sweater or afghan. that is where the pictures help me.
hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Granny squares are a good way to practice stitches. Start with a short chain, join, crochet into the circle. Keep a good solid "hold" on your work as you go along, that provides tension which will keep all your stitches the same size. Be sure to understand what gauge means, it can be crucial to the finished size of your project! I am new to knitting myself, have made so many swatches and then ripped them out and repeated with a different size needle. I find I tend to knit and crochet tightly so I use a larger needle than what is recommended in the pattern. I also keep reminding myself to relax my grip and enjoy what im doing. Have Fun!
Lois

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom