Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using dpns for the very first time-trying to not hate them in the process! lol Question: Does the right side always face in or out while you work, or does it change? I am thinking I may have picked the work back up and turned it the wrong way because I had my knit row looking like purls on the right side. . . . help! thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
The right side should face out....I found that out when I started to knit the sleeves to a top down sweater. I followed the pattern and found that the stitch was inside out (stockingknit). That is when I realized I would have to reverse my piece while doing the sleeves because I have the wrong side of the sweater facing out when I first did the body. Not a big deal with this pattern, but certainly could be a problem with a different stitch!

·
Registered
813 Posts
I love Double Pointed needles, once I got used to them. I use them on all my socks, and I use 4 needles instead of 3. That is how I learned. And I have made 23 pairs of socks since a year ago last January. Sometimes they get kind of not slippery and I just clean them with furniture polish, and that helps, also cleans them from the dirt on your hands, although I always wash before I knit, but sometimes have to put on hand cream to make my fingers pick up the yarn better.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
Hi,
Just keep at it! The first few rows are the hardest but it is a skill all knitters should learn. Right side = outside! Using four needles instead of three is often easier...less tension on corners, less laddering. Good luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks I will try with four sometime!! And good thought about furniture polish. I use bamboo.

Patricia368 said:
I love Double Pointed needles, once I got used to them. I use them on all my socks, and I use 4 needles instead of 3. That is how I learned. And I have made 23 pairs of socks since a year ago last January. Sometimes they get kind of not slippery and I just clean them with furniture polish, and that helps, also cleans them from the dirt on your hands, although I always wash before I knit, but sometimes have to put on hand cream to make my fingers pick up the yarn better.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
You can also use straight needles to cast on and knit a row or two before you divide up the stitches and knit them on to the dpn's. Joining is easier, you don't have the same difficulty in keeping from twisting the stitches. You will only have a small 2 or 3 row space to sew up with the tail from the cast on. This worked for me when I was first starting. I love my dpn's ...
I sure hope that makes sense.
Yvette

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Good for you on learning to cope with DPNs!!! it's a very useful skill.

Everything everybody's said in this thread is good advice.

I'd like to add ... if you ever want to do fair isle on DPNs then yes that's a good time to work inside out -- it'll prevent your floats from getting too tight.

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
congrats for realizing you might of picked your work up wrong.. I did some mittens and never realized it and I had 1 purl row on the thumb.. so by the time I was done with that mitten I was able to replicate it on the second one... but it took me a long time to realize what happened and then I think I read a post in here and it all clicked what I had done.. now I make a mental note of how I put it down or pick it up..

·
Registered
611 Posts
Wooden or bamboo DPNs are much easier to use than metal. Metal is very slick which means they're likely to slip right out of your stitches.

Lots of good advice here - best of luck to you. Just hang in there and you'll soon love them. Also you might want to check some of the YouTube videos about using DPNs.

One useful tip: To avoid 'ladders', give a slight tug to the yarn after you knit the first two stitches on a needle. If you knit very loosely, tug it again after the 3rd stitch. After a while this habit will become automatic so your hands remember without having to bother your brain.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
annalise28 said:
I am using dpns for the very first time-trying to not hate them in the process! lol Question: Does the right side always face in or out while you work, or does it change? I am thinking I may have picked the work back up and turned it the wrong way because I had my knit row looking like purls on the right side. . . . help! thanks!
Well, I'm going to say that there are those knitters for whom the right or public side is on the outside of the needles, and others for whom the public side is on the inside of the needles. It sort of depends on how you were taught to knit with them. Some knitters hold the work so that they knit with the two working needles, directly in front of themselves, so the work is always public side out, but others were taught to knit with the non-working needles closest to them so that the working needles were opposite, in which case the public side is on the inside (in my experience these were nearly always Canadian knitters--no, Jessica, I'm not pointing fingers at Canadians, one grandmother was, one wasn't and one knit inside, one outside). All this said, if you are working so the public side is on the outside and it shifts to the inside, you turned the work at some point unless the pattern says otherwise.

How do you now which direction you should be going in? Well, when working in the round after the first stitch is worked the working yarn will always be on the right hand needle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When using DPNs always remember, just like knitting in the round, your working needle is in your right hand. A good tip is never stop in the middle of a needle... you only work with 2 needles at a time. The others are move to the back, out of your way. The right side of your work should be on the outside. If you are knitting every round, the outside will be smooth. If you are purling every round, then the surface will be bumpy. I hope this is helpful. If you nerd more visual aid, then go onto the internet and type in Learn to Knit and several sites will appear with detailed pictures for everything. GoodLuck and Happy Knitting.

Karen/GramKDK

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom