Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. A knitter/crocheter from Munster Indiana. I joined this after joining Quilter's paradise, as I love that forum. Unlike quilting, in which I am a novice, I have been knitting since I was in high school; I am now 64 and retired from lactation consulting/nursing. My grandmother taught me to knit and then a few years later I taught myself to crochet.
Since I taught myself before the era of video, many techniques I "learned" wrongly, but of course as long as I was consistent it didn't matter much!!! I have been learning many new techniques, and I have a question about decreases. I always did my K2tog, thru the back loop -until seeing a great video [Beyond Purl] Now I do them as a knit -thru front loop. But and here's the question - while I can do the SSK; to my mind it ends up looking just like K2tog thru back loop- which is much quicker to do. Is there any difference?

·
Registered
52 Posts
You would use it when you decrease for your armholes so the stitches go opposit ways to look nicer....I just grabbed a pattern and they had you SSK at the beginning of the row and K2 tog at the end of the row. Also when making socks when decreasing for the toes. Also some designes where you will SSK on one side of a stitch and K2 tog on the other side with yarn overs will give you a lacey effect.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wouldn't think it matters, I do the knit 2 tog as well. I has worked for me for 59 years no sense changing now! LOL, I've been knitting since I was 5. I've done many raglan sleeves using the K1 Sl 1 PSSO and Knit 2 together. Now I try to eliminate all seams by doing the neck down or bottom up on circular needles. Much faster and nothing to finish.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sometimes it doesn't matter but on a sweater it really does and some lacey designs. We must be about the same age as I have been knitting forever too. I also have changed patterns to be able to make them on circular needles. Anything I can do to eliminate a seam or loose end to weave it.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alpacagirl said:
Hi. K2 tog your decrease stitches will slant to the right. A SSK will slant to your left.
Yes - that I know. When you knit through the back loop you are twisting the left needle stitches. Try it, you'll see it comes out the same as the SSK. At least that's what I think, and wanted to know- is it really? Now the Sl K PSSO is more pronounced and I think doesn't look as well to balance the K2tog.

Also I have to agree with the comments on circulars and top down knitting. I love eliminating the seams. However I don't mind the seaming itself - just the time it takes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
All of this is twisting in my head - When I get ready I will review all of this - My first sweater was a top down and I didnt know what I was doing I was just being led around by the yarn... So now I am trying to understand and visualize what I am doing. This is so exciting !!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom