Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am the Cat Lady
I have been knitting and crocheting for many years. This year I knitted all my christmas presents and it was wonderful. Currently I am trying to knit some hats for the homeless shelter in Fort Wayne. But have to admit I am still on the first one. I work 2 jobs and I am working on my MSN. I saw a cartoon that said "I knit so I don't kill people". That is the way I feel. My oldest daughter lives with me and together we have 6 cats, a dog, and a macaw. I look forward to getting to know you all and hope I can be a blessing to someone.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi, I'm sillyknitter, and an RN, now disabled after working as an RN for 36 years. I graduated from a diploma school waaaaaaay back in 1973 and never wanted to get a degree. Congratulations on working on your MSN, catlady!! That's quite an undertaking!! Since you're going to school, and probably working, how much time do you have to knit?
My husband and I have 5 cats that are the light of our lives. Everything I knit/crochet and donate has cat hair working right in!! Heaven forbid if someone is allergic to cats that receives one of my prayer shawls.
Since becoming disabled 3 years ago, I've donated 26 shawls to 2 different churches. I've also made a number of gifts.
nan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Silly Knitter. Well I have you beat. I graduated from LPN school Sept. 1968. I'm getting my MSN so I can teach online. I am not disabled but have a lot of problems and I am rarely without pain and have difficulty standing up straight. I am teaching one day per week and then work 48hour weekends as a Hospice triage nurse. I do not have much time to knit but knit a few rows a couple of times a day. It is my therapy. I haven't decided how to type with the cats as yet. They are so much fun. It is so nice to meet a fellow nurse, fellow cat lover and a knitter. Thank you, Catlady

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Hi SillyKnitter,

Nice to meet you. Like you I make prayer shawls. Belong to a shawl ministry. It is very rewarding when handing them to out to people. It's comforting to know that you are comforting somebody.

Hope to talk soon

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hey Cat lady,
You must be a great lady. My daughter and granddaughter lived with us for three years. Although, I love my daughter dearly, there is really only room for one woman per household. Can you believe, I have a daughter that has no interest in knitting or any craft???
She is a neat freak, I am a laid back, leave it alone if you can fix it person. If it came down to knitting or cleaning, I pick knitting any day. I knit in my sleep if I could
You are already a blessing.
Wanda, Queenmawmaw

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Queen Mawmaw: Well we have a lot is common indeed. I am not the best housekeeper and would rather knit that about anything else. I like to look at patterns and yarn on line. My family doesn't understand, but that is ok. I am the one working and studying. One day I want to take the master knitter course. I put it on my bucket list. When I am finished with my Master's I hope to start on it. Time will tell. Today I got my order from knitpicks but can't remember what pattern I bought the yarn for. I really need to write it down in a book. LOL. Cat lady

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Hi Silly knitter. I have you beat. I graduated from a degree nursing program in 1960. I worked for 47 years in various positions; the longest was for the county I live in as a Home Care and Pulbic Healath Nurse, the last 11 years in administration. I have been knitting for over 50 years and have been lucky to be hired to knit for a fellow who has a yarn shop in Rosemount, MN and a 2nd store down town Minneapolis,MN. He tells me I am an experienced knitter, but some times I wonder what with the difficilt patterns he asks me to knit. Yes, even after knitting for over 50 years, I still get stumped. I tell people that knitting is my one passion; I would be lost without my needled. Norita from Cochrane, WI.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hey Norita and Cat Lady, and everyone
I don't know about yaw, but the older I get, the harder the patterns get. I am finding I am going for the easier patterns. I am just getting lazy? I look at patterns all of the time but if its too detailed, I'll just look.
I just hope that my brain is not dying.
See yaw later

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Mawmaw;

Yeah, sometimes I am that way too. I am trying to knit for the homeless so I want something fast and easy. Don't want something I have to think about. But I am hooked on fairisle. I just love to see the patterns come out. I could knit that style 24/7. I don't do a whole lot with texture and I am bad about doing gauge swatches so tend to knit small things that don't require it. They are just so boring.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My best friend lives in Princeton MN. I try to get up there every fall. I know so many people up there now that I feel that I have 2 homes and 2 families. So no matter where I am I am missing my family. Go figure. I am in the process of getting my MSN so I can teach. My body is giving out so have to make a change. I am half way through my first class. Knitting keeps me sane Cat Lady

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom