Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Lucky you. Pressure cookers make wonderful foods that require a long time to cook. I used to do chuck roast or pork and sauerkraut. Yum. Your chicken soup looks delish.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
My favorite use (after making scrapple) was when DH was alive and would charge into the kitchen saying, "Can you get a picnic together? We should go fishing." I would dice potatoes in 1/2 inch cubes, put the bottom plate-thing in the pressure cooker, add a bit of water, 3 minutes at 15 lbs and then rapid cooling before opening. The hot potato bits seemed to absorb the seasonings better and we had potato salad ready to go on the trip.

I also made porcupine meatballs, which DDs still talk about.

I have one of those pressure cookers advertised on tv.The Power Cooker XL. The little instruction/recipe booklet has very few recipes I like in it. Would any pressure cooker recipe work and how would I figure the settings for them?

I just bought the Instant Pot and cooked my first meal tonight, Lentil Soup. It was excellent! I will be definitely looking for more IP recipes and plan to purchase their cookbook. It is was a great purchase!

joaniesinn said:
Porcupine meatballs were the best years ago and I still make them a couple of times a year..that was 70 years ago and I still have the pressure cookers...
Yeah, me, too. Just have to cut down the size a bit now, only me.

Lucky find, you will love it. Try my family lentil soup Scottish style. 1lb finely chopped carrots 1lb finely chopped turnip,1 diced onion,2-3sticks celery, chopped,2 cups lentils, 8-10 cups of stock or water, pinch of mixed herbs. Add all ingredients to pressure cooker, cook at high pressure for 20-25 minutes, reduce pressure, or let pressure reduce naturally. Add salt and pepper to taste, sprinkle with a little fresh chopped parsley. Yum.

Debiknit said:
I have one of those pressure cookers advertised on tv.The Power Cooker XL. The little instruction/recipe booklet has very few recipes I like in it. Would any pressure cooker recipe work and how would I figure the settings for them?
I have been using pressure cookers for 50 years. :sm04: All of them have been electric. (I'm sort of afraid of the ones that sit on the stove burner, since we have an electric range and it doesn't cool down fast enough. The first two were Sunbeam. I kept one here, the other one lived at our place in Costa Rica. About 10 years ago, I got a Cooks Essentials 6 qt and loved it. I did something stupid and ruined it. I now have one of the Power Cooker XL, 8 qt. I preferred the CE. but this one is fine.

I almost never use a recipe, except to see what the ingredients are. I change what we don't like, etc. Cooking time is easy, just look at a similar recipe and use that time. (I would set the time for a little less, if I wasn't sure. You can always add more time, but if you cooked something to mush, you can't undo that. ) We love beans and soups, so I make a big pot full of something every week. We eat it the first day and the rest is divided into serving size containers and frozen. It's wonderful to just grab something out of the freezer and stick it in the microwave. :sm19:

Lavender Liz said:
I have been using pressure cookers for 50 years. :sm04: All of them have been electric. (I'm sort of afraid of the ones that sit on the stove burner, since we have an electric range and it doesn't cool down fast enough. The first two were Sunbeam. I kept one here, the other one lived at our place in Costa Rica. About 10 years ago, I got a Cooks Essentials 6 qt and loved it. I did something stupid and ruined it. I now have one of the Power Cooker XL, 8 qt. I preferred the CE. but this one is fine.

I almost never use a recipe, except to see what the ingredients are. I change what we don't like, etc. Cooking time is easy, just look at a similar recipe and use that time. (I would set the time for a little less, if I wasn't sure. You can always add more time, but if you cooked something to mush, you can't undo that. ) We love beans and soups, so I make a big pot full of something every week. We eat it the first day and the rest is divided into serving size containers and frozen. It's wonderful to just grab something out of the freezer and stick it in the microwave. :sm19:
Thank you for responding. I will get it out this fall and learn how to use it and how to improvise. Thanks.

Debiknit said:
I bought a pressure cooker recipe book from Amazon to supplement the power cooker.
I also had several books from using the older non-electric pressure cookers and adapted them.

I messed up on one of my first tries, called customer service listed online, they were very patient and explained how to correct my problem. Otherwise, the electric cooker has been fun and useful.

I used two non-electric cookers (Presto) for 49 years on an electric stove and never had a problem, but now that we are older I like the safety features on an electric cooker.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom