Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
I would be willing to bet that you used the stockinette stitch when you made these scarves. Stockinette will ALWAYS roll inwards from the side and roll up from the bottom, unless you put something like a border around it.

You can create a seed stitch border by doing the first 4 stitches on every row K1, P1, K1, P1..

Then the last 4 stitches on every row, do the same as above, except if your last stitch done before you get to the last 4 is a knit stitch, then you would do a P1, K1, P1, K1. If the last stitch before the last 4 is a purl stitch, then it is K1, P1, K1, P1.

This creates a really lovely seed stitch border of sorts going all the way up the scarf.

The above will keep it from going inwards as you described. You can also do the first 4 complete rows with the seed stitch above by just doing the K1, P1 for the first row, and then I believe you would do the opposite for the 2nd row, repeat row 1 for the 3rd, and so on.

If some of the more experienced knitters here know this to be wrong, I hope that they will chime in and correct me.. :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((( Are you knitting, crochet, loom work........?

If hand kniting or crocheting, send me your pattern for analysis. I can rewrite it for you, also so not to curl......

zee said:
Hi, I've made several scarfs and on some the sides curl in making the scarf look more like a tube rather than the flat scarf I want. How can I prevent this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Real basic pattern:
Row 1 knit (odd # stitches),
Row 2: K1,P1 across, ending K-1,
Rows 3,5,7,9: knit across,
Rows 4,6,8,10: repeat Row 2
Row 11: K1, *yo, K2 tog, repeat from *, end K2 tog
Row 12: K1,P1 across, ending K1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom