Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I live in the SW of West. Australia. Came across this website while looking for something else!

My hobbies are spinning, knitting, weaving and knitting on my new circular sock machine which has taken up most of my time lately.

I'm attaching a picture of a pair of alpaca socks I made.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi, Im from Gnowangerup. Which part of the SW are you from. I don't spin but do most other crafts. My husband is one on the police officers here and Im a nurse and work at the local hospital. I'm on night shift at the moment and will be for at least 3 rosters so hope to get a lot of knitting done for my grandys. We move about every 2 yrs so my love of craft is how I find new friends in each town we go to. Not sure where we are going next. It just depends on what vacancies are up when its time for my husband to be transfered. Must go its time to start getting ready for work. Happy Knitting. Cheers Sybil

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Welcome....from Rae in NC...USA. Great socks!!!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hello Ladies from Australia! This is a great site! The socks are beautiful..Did I read tht you made them on a sock machine? I have never heard of that. I would be happy to learn how to make them on circular needles!
Sorry to hear about the terrible flooding your country has had. Hoping you were spared from the horrible flooding!
Jan

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was a docent at Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago for about 20 years. At some point the Illinois State Museum gave the LPZ Farm in the Zoo a box full of pieces parts from antique sock knitting machines. We spent about a year cobbling one together, cleaning the needles, adjusting weights etc and finally got one to work. ONLY TO FIND OUT that there are several sites on the net that will help you fix them AND you can buy new ones rather easily. OH well, the visitors to the Farm were rather amused and we all had a good time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Love your socks and glad to see they are made of alpaca! I raise them here in PA and love working with the alpaca. I also spin it and just got a new Roberta electric spinner my husband just got for me and I just love it.....Which is from Australia. I do have an Ashford Joy spinning wheel also which is easy to pick up and take places to demonstrate spinning. Did you spin your yarn for these socks? Hopefully you aren't where all the flooding has taken place this year. Welcome to the site.
Joan

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi everyone. I to have never heard of a sock knitting machine. I do it the slow way. Four double ended needles. I have used a alpaca/ wool mix to make boot socks for my man. I live in the south west of western australia so the rain and flooding wasn't near us. My daughter and son inlaw are on a farm 20ks down the road and they realy need rain. 28 of thier 50 dams are dry, so they are constantly having to move sheep from one padock to another and will have to start hand feeding soon if the rain doesn't come. We also had very bad bush fires around Perth and unfortunately my second daughter and her husband lost every thing. All they were able to salvage from their house was a few photos, every thing else was destroyed. They had insurence and have been able to replace most things. I am in the process of getting copys of all of my photos of their baby as most of theirs were beyond saving. I think I will try finding a sock machine on the net. Hopefully it want be to hard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello again. What a lot of replies! I had never heard of a sock machine till I went on holiday last Sept to NZ. In Hokitika there is a shop that sells them and incorporates a sock machine museum. Jaquie Grant runs it and makes the machines as well as doing up old machines. Unfortunately the foundry that makes them is in Christchurch where the recent earthquake was and it was badly damaged. She doesn't know whether she will be able to make more. Her website is www.autoknitter.com and her email is [email protected]

I live about 12kms out of Bunbury near Australind. We have no flooding here, only drought. No rain for a long time and hot temperatures.

Judy
Western Australia

Attachments

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Welcome to the forum all you Australian girls. I love alpaca yarn. Even a little added to other wools is a great improvement. So sorry about all the weather problems. In the south we have to keep an eye on the woods and forests because the pines go up like tinder if it's even a little dry. Hope your weather improves soon.

·
Registered
650 Posts
bluegumalpacas, Welcome and boy are those socks nice. Do you get and make your own yarn from your alpacas? I have a daughter in Tasmania who lived in Australia for many years, she loved it. I too hope to hear from you again and see your lovely projects. Enjoy every moment of your day!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom