Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to my daughter the other day and mentioned that I kept seeing posts for fancy knitting needles. I've been knitting for 50 years and told her that fancy things were nice, but if a person really wants to knit, they could knit with cheaper needles. She works for a drug/alcohol recovery place, and she said, "You're right, Mom. We had a patient who knitted. They took away her knitting needles because they were sharp and could be used as weapons. Later I saw a scarf she had knitted for another patient, but when I confronted her about having smuggled knitting needles, she told me she didn't have any. I told her I had SEEN a knitted scarf; she held up two pencils. She'd been knitting scarves with a pair of pencils." I just thought this was such a cool story about someone who is so addicted to knitting that she will knit with pencils!

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
Never underestimate the resourcefulness of a knitter.. I know needles are sharp... but I would think that kid's light plastic ones... not too thin.... would make a good knitting needle without danger.... I know what a good tool a craft can be for those overcoming adversities......

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hmmmm, I need to take a plane from Texas to Indiana to coach my daughter through childbirth and wondered if I could knit on the plane. Maybe I could- with pencils! Um, I think I need double pointed pencils!

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Dreamweaver said:
Never underestimate the resourcefulness of a knitter.. I know needles are sharp... but I would think that kid's light plastic ones... not too thin.... would make a good knitting needle without danger.... I know what a good tool a craft can be for those overcoming adversities......
Dreamweaver, I often use those kiddies' needles when doing lace knitting with 12 stitches. I have also knitted baby clothes with them as I really dislike the longer needles hitting on the top of my arm. I found there was no difference in the quality of my knitting.

·
Registered
820 Posts
re sharp objects on planes. We were flying to Borneo and I had my embroidery scissors confiscated at Heathrow airport - ggrrrrr only to find when we had a meal on the plane that we were given metal knives and forks - so much for sharp objects.

·
Registered
2 Posts
On plane knitting: I always travel with a knitting project, needle sizes have varied, up to size 15 (vampire slaying stake appearance). I have never had a problem. I do try to take wooden needles though, so the x-ray is less menacing looking. Wonderful for long layovers and delays!

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Mom was in a dementia special care unit. They could not have anything sharp. As she was a avid knitter earlier in life, I would take my skeins of yarn down and have her help me make them into a ball. I now have a LOT of balls of yarn, but I have the precious memories to go with them. So glad I did that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't know knitting needles on planes were allowed. On our recent flight to Anchorage for a cruise tour of Alaska, I stowed my knitting in my carry on and just carried my cross stitch and little round thread cutter (which I wear on an elastic thread around my neck) in my carry on. When on the bus/train on the tour, though, I knitted since I can knit and look at the same time. Almost finished a baby bunting! In fact, all I've got left is to connect the arms and body and build a hood, and I'm done! I've always been afraid to carry my needles on the plane for fear of getting them (and my project) confiscated!

·
Registered
12 Posts
We recently went to visit our son in MN On the way up from NC, I did applique with the tiny needles and a thread cutter. On the way home I was knitting. I use bamboo needles when traveling. No one blinked an eye. :) I would not take metal ones. I would not even attempt. I have taken a plastic crochet hook and had no problem.

·
Registered
625 Posts
that is how i was taught to knit, on pencils by my boy cousin over 40 years ago, he also taught me to crochet. So greatful for him doing that, his mother was a great crafter, quilting, sewing, and lots of every things, all 4 of her children was taught these crafts.
Candy
3 DaneDogs said:
I was talking to my daughter the other day and mentioned that I kept seeing posts for fancy knitting needles. I've been knitting for 50 years and told her that fancy things were nice, but if a person really wants to knit, they could knit with cheaper needles. She works for a drug/alcohol recovery place, and she said, "You're right, Mom. We had a patient who knitted. They took away her knitting needles because they were sharp and could be used as weapons. Later I saw a scarf she had knitted for another patient, but when I confronted her about having smuggled knitting needles, she told me she didn't have any. I told her I had SEEN a knitted scarf; she held up two pencils. She'd been knitting scarves with a pair of pencils." I just thought this was such a cool story about someone who is so addicted to knitting that she will knit with pencils!

·
Registered
4 Posts
TSA allows all knitting needles now. They used to restrict scissor to 1" blades, but I noticed that it is now 3" blades. If you need inexpensive needles for teaching a group or students, you can make them using wooden dowels. Just get the size dowels you need and make a point on one, or both, ends. Sanding them makes them smoother so the yarn doesn't snag..and you can wax or finish them with polyurethane to make them even smoother.

You can weave using drinking straws, a very safe item to use.

I sometimes take a self addressed, stamped envelope or manila folder with me on flights, in case TSA doesn't like some new item I'm taking. That way you can mail the 'offending item' back to yourself instead of losing it to TSA.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think they probably figured the yarn would break if she tried to hang herself (or someone else) with it! They do get a number of people who do the self-mutilation thing too, so they do have to be careful. It'd be hard to decide what to allow and what not, wouldn't it? If someone wants to harm themselves or someone else, almost anything can be a weapon/tool.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom