Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Ladies and Gents, I need a way to cast on that does not flare out or look loopy. I have a KH840-KR830 and want to use some fabulous yarn. And I want it to look fabulous too. So, please give me some hints.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
A KP member suggested this method to me a while ago - it's great - I use it all the time now! -
Carriage at right.
E-wrap the number of stitches required for your rib on the main bed from left to right.
Knit across stitches using the tension for your rib. Transfer required stitches to ribber.
Insert ribber comb and add weights.
moira

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
Begin with both tension settings below 0, (or the tightest settings for the yarn you're knitting) knit the zigzag row, then increase the tensions 1 number, (or in the case of fine yarn by 1 or 2 dots) for each of the 3 circular rows. After c/o increase settings for your ribbing tension.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have for a while used this method.
Zigzag row from right to left at T0/0 hang comb, release ribber carriage and run accross from l-r then back to rejoin main carriage, knit another zig-zag row, then the two circular rows and continue in normal rib at tension you have decided. When knitting is removed from machine pull yarn out from end which has a loop. This straightens and tightens whole rib. Sounds more complicated than it is.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Cast on with your latch hook that gives a professional edge.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The only time I've ever had trouble with flare, is when I try to go up on tension too quickly, i.e. cast on @ zero then turn up to two or three on the third row....seems to always guarantee a flare. If you just go one increment @ a time, when the yarn relaxes it doesn't seem to be flared. I just use the regular right to left zig-zag, hang comb. knit a row and then start the ribbing.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
KateWood said:
Begin with both tension settings below 0, (or the tightest settings for the yarn you're knitting) knit the zigzag row, then increase the tensions 1 number, (or in the case of fine yarn by 1 or 2 dots) for each of the 3 circular rows. After c/o increase settings for your ribbing tension.
I do it your way Kate, the way it says to do it in the ribber manuals, and I never have a problem with flare.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom