Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given some older Noro yarn. 75%wool/25% silk. It looks larger than worsted. Label says 100 gr 13 or J7 (Japanese) and X 6.0 or 7.0 at top ???/iro. Any idea needles needed to work up? or should I just figure it out?

·
Banned
23,744 Posts
dottie ward said:
I was given some older Noro yarn. 75%wool/25% silk. It looks larger than worsted. Label says 100 gr 13 or J7 (Japanese) and X 6.0 or 7.0 at top ???/iro. Any idea needles needed to work up? or should I just figure it out?
IMHO throw it out. Most horrible yarn ever.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I just saw a helpful hint for guesstimating gauge for "mystery" yarns--take your knitting needle gauge and thread a piece of the yarn through the holes until you find the one that's closest in diameter to your yarn, the one that the yarn fits through easily--that will show you the size needle to use. If you want a firmer fabric, or knit loosely, try a size or two smaller, or go up a size or two if you knit tightly. In any case, you'll probably want to swatch, but at least this gives you a starting place.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
dottie ward said:
There is a Noro yarn named IRO. check ravelry

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I made a pair of fingerless gloves using one ball of Noro Kureyon yarn. The pair didn't anything like each other. I'm thinking about buying another ball and seeing if two more gloves might match each one of the first set. Am I crazy?

·
Banned
23,744 Posts
barcar said:
I made a pair of fingerless gloves using one ball of Noro Kureyon yarn. The pair didn't anything like each other. I'm thinking about buying another ball and seeing if two more gloves might match each one of the first set. Am I crazy?
Pretty much.. Hey, you asked.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I'd re-home it. I really dislike this yarn, full of knots and irregularities. Very poor quality considering the high price on it. It's not soft either. I agree to get rid of it and spend my time on something worthy of my creative energy.

·
Registered
9,603 Posts
dottie ward said:
I love working with Nuro and made a scarf. I always get compliments. I like the colors of Nuro. It depends on how much 'some yarn' is. I would go for a scarf or even just a neck covering if you don't have a lot of yarn.

·
Registered
26,154 Posts
I love the look of Noro yarns, even the feel of them after washing. Though the challenges of Noro yarns have landed them on my "do not buy" list.

Knots are one problem, though I usually don't find knots all that troublesome. Pieces of debris, spun into the yarn, which I assume are straw, are annoying and I've found that sometimes it breaks very easily. Anytime I have found a knot, the join results in color change that doesn't match the sequence. This isn't a problem when knitting things like scarves but when knitting a garment, it results in quite a bit of wasted yarn.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom