Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making my first 100% wool item (a scarf). It is soooo soft! I know it will need blocking. I ordered some wool wash from Northern Essence. You can pick any of like 50 scents to be added in. I got Pine, Baby Magic type, Baby Powder, Apple Cider, and a Pink Sugar. They smell wonderful and i ordered the 4 oz bottles abd it came so quickly. So my question is...I think these are used for soakers and diapers etc? Is this the same as that Eucalan? I can use this on regular wool items right [like scarves :) ]? Can i use it on wool mixes or acrylics ( prob not right?). Thanks ( oh their website has all kinds of soap and other items you can add scent too...very nice...and no I dont work for them)

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
I would think it would be similar to Eucalan... as it is a wool wash. You could use on blends, as long as you follow instructions for temp etc. on the yarn. No reason you can't use on acrylic for the smell and for cleaning.... you just wouldn't really e locking or hand washing most acrylics.... I'll have to check them out.... Love the Baby Powder smell and Pink sugar sounds interesting......

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Yeah they have a ton of stuff. But seriously i dont work for them i just wondered if maybe this company has more lanolin added in than Eucalan just for diapers. I have no Eucalan so i dont know. Thanks again! You are always so informative!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Lady at my local LYS suggested Eucalan to soften wool after I made my item b/c I wanted a scarf (100% wool) to be REALLY soft. Is that a use for it too, as opposed to being a cleaning product?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I use inexpensive shampoo...just a small amount...for handwashing knit items...wooo, blends etc. After all wool is hair. a thorough rinse, a roll in a towel to remove excess moisture and its ready to lay out on my drying rack....a frame covered with hardward cloth, a layer of heavy polyester batting and a cotton fabric stapled into the wooden frame.
A quiltmaker urged us not to use Woollite etc on our handmade quilts. She suggested a semiliquid sold as horse shampoo...tht was pure sodium lauryl sulfate....no scent, no bleach. But I can't locate that anymore. It was made by Proctor and Gamble as I remember. I like it so much and it was so economical i did all my machine laundry in it. Joan 8060

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
A tiny bit of conditioner mixed in with shampoo also is effective. It's great also if your fabric has felted a little. Be more generous with the conditioner, and your fabric may relax back closer to its original state.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom