Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never knitted before and am getting more and more curious about it but I am unsure where to start exactly. Could anyone please help me out and point me in the right direction? It would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
To get started, I would buy some worsted yarn. Oops! I just noticed you are in New Zealand so I am going to leave the specifics to someone who uses the same knitting terms as you do. My terms are different here in the USA.

Anyway, I would get some medium size/weight yarn and the needles specified on the yarn label. Then go online and enter something like, "Learn to knit." You will find some videos to get you started.

Just a note. There are different styles of knitting, the main difference being how you hold your yarn; and it does make quite a difference in how fast and effort-expending your knitting will be. I would opt for a Continental style if I were learning over. I use one of the "throw" styles and wish I knew how to knit Continental. Speed is not of primary concern to most knitters; enjoyment in the process is a good deal of the reason we knit. However, when I sit beside a friend of mine who knits Continental, what she is doing looks a lot easier than what I do--but old habits die hard, and it is not easy to change after so many years.

If there is a LYS (local yarn shop/store) near, I would visit and ask questions and look around. It isn't necessary to buy anything on your first trip, at least it shouldn't be. Hopefully someone there can give you some answers to your questions.

You can always get answers here on KP; there are many generous people answering posts every day to help anyone with any question they have. But, there is a lot to be said for the hands-on assistance someone can give locally.

Best wishes! You are entering on an interesting and productive endeavor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have a yarn store near me that I will go and check out tomorrow. I have started to look online about learning to knit but havent had an indepth look as I wanted to ask here first.
Thank you so much for your help, im really looking forward to getting started!

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
The best place to start is here!! Wonderful tips/support and points in the right direction. These knitters are lifesavesrs and it is one of the "funnest" places to visit!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi
Besides here, there are many many tutorials on Utube. You can learn knitting and/or crochet from there.
There are tons of videos for beginners.
Once you get started with your needles or hooks, you will be addicted in no time. :eek:) Have fun.
Janie

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
hi and welcome..i learned from watching YouTube...and from all the great people on Knitting Paradise. I been knitting for 1 yrs now...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom