Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I have searched through the bags of wool next to my side of the bed, as the remote control for the TV in the bedroom has gone awol. (didn't find it) I ordered yarn for the Fair Isle cushion covers I have promised my sister for Christmas, and some yarn for my grand kids hats and mitts and now I thought I'd settle down and try the Newfie mittens on 2 circulars rather than double points. I knew I had two 4mm circulars so that was fine.
I don't know what made me check the size with the needle gauge but Grrrrrrrr the fixed circular I have, that is plainly labeled as 4mm is, in fact, 4.5mm. It was fresh out of the packaging too, as my beginner's interchangeable set arrived before I needed to use it. NOW I'M CROSS. And John Lewis will hear about it next time I go in there.
In future I will take my needle gauge with me when I go to buy needles.

·
Premium Member
19,126 Posts
trisha2 said:
Today I have searched through the bags of wool next to my side of the bed, as the remote control for the TV in the bedroom has gone awol. (didn't find it) I ordered yarn for the Fair Isle cushion covers I have promised my sister for Christmas, and some yarn for my grand kids hats and mitts and now I thought I'd settle down and try the Newfie mittens on 2 circulars rather than double points. I knew I had two 4mm circulars so that was fine.
I don't know what made me check the size with the needle gauge but Grrrrrrrr the fixed circular I have, that is plainly labeled as 4mm is, in fact, 4.5mm. It was fresh out of the packaging too, as my beginner's interchangeable set arrived before I needed to use it. NOW I'M CROSS. And John Lewis will hear about it next time I go in there.
In future I will take my needle gauge with me when I go to buy needles.
you will find that not all needle gauges are the same. I have a number of them and they there are differences between them. Also, not all needles are manufactured by the same company, so there can be small differences in the gauge of the needles between companies.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I know what you mean, I bought a pair of bamboo straight pins and they are stamped on the side as 3.25mm. After merrily knitting away I realised my knitting was growing faster than usual so measured said needles to find they are 3.50mm. :cry:

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
My mother was heavy English background on both sides of her family and she used that term all the time. Thanks for the memory, too.

chickkie said:
CaROLE-JAYNE said:
Your Subject Line took me back to my childhood...in Canada they have no idea what you mean when you say you are 'cross'.
Thanks for the memories!
cj
Really? I live in Canada and use that term all the time

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well, like the old song, "Mama said there'd be days like this", I'm having one too,
But was glad to find out from your post that Lewis's carries knitting supplies.
I'm going over 'ome to Wales in the Spring and will be knitting for my Sister while I'm there, had a hard time finding supplies the last trip.
Thanks for the tip ! Audrey

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
The fault is by the manufacturer. Inches, millimeters are specific measurements. Somewhere there are bureaus or agencies that preserve length, weight and volume standards used to check sizes. There's no excuse for a manufacturer to not conform to the measurements. Complain to the store owner if you think that will carry more weight complaining to the company that made them, but also find and complain to that company yourself. The only permissible variation is getting a "baker's dozen". That doesn't apply to needle sizes.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
trisha2-Yeah, some days are like that. It's like the universe is going to put the whammy on you for 24 hours or so-just to keep you humble. Just go with the flow. It gets better. Denise

·
Registered
907 Posts
Hello Taffy, I was home in September, I used to live in Essex, There is a great shop called "Hobby Craft" they had so much of everything. Apart from other hobbies, there
were "patterns, wool and needles" very reasonably priced too. I dont know if they have more shops but maybe they do, check it out.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Taffie said:
Well, like the old song, "Mama said there'd be days like this", I'm having one too,
But was glad to find out from your post that Lewis's carries knitting supplies.
I'm going over 'ome to Wales in the Spring and will be knitting for my Sister while I'm there, had a hard time finding supplies the last trip.
Thanks for the tip ! Audrey
Croeso Taffy,As well as Hobby craft,try Shaws the Drapers(Crwys Rd/Wellfield Rd/Wood St),also good wool stall at Central Indoor Market when you come back home.Lindseymary

·
Registered
161 Posts
I live not too far from Cardiff - I would give Hobby Craft 'a miss' as I find it expensive and impersonal compared with local wool shops; also John Lewis - not the store it promised to be when it opened in Cardiff, and certainly I have found their customer service decline. I prefer to shop for yarn at local wool shops, there is one in Barry; Penarth, Porthcawl; also Abertillery (closed on Wed & Sat pm) and a lovely shop in Blaneravon (I have been there today) for a trip out. There was also a shop on Newport Road area of Cardiff-not sure if it is still there though.

Happy shopping

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom