Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a disheartening story the other day. A local ladie's organization at a church dropped 6 handmade blankets off to a local nursing home to be given to residents. The nursing home felt that they could not give to 6 residents and not have anything for the rest of the residents, didn't know where to store them, so they were all taken to Goodwill and gotten rid of.

Moral of the story? PLEASE call a charity first and be sure they can USE your work, or give to charities you know already need and can use hats, blankets, etc. If you are going to send something to a nursing home, it may be a good idea to send it to a specific resident where possible. Contact a local church and ask them if they would like blankets for their shut ins and go through them, etc.

· Registered
1,175 Posts
Thanks for passing on this story. I plan to do a lot of charity knitting this year. I found a bunch of organizations listed and sent an e-mail to the contacts listed for 3 different organizations. I heard back from only 1. I want to make sure my donations will find a home and meet any specific needs an organization has.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom