Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this idea from a video on Knit Purl Hunter (one of my favorite sites for video tutorials), and changed the recipe a little bit. It is for a quick and easy little nylon scrubby to make to give along with a dishcloth, or to use in one's own kitchen sink. Years ago I did the flowers for a daughter's wedding and still have several cones of nylon ribbon left. You can buy these cones online fairly cheaply, and it works great for gift wrap too. I simply cut an entire cone's worth of "ribbon" lengthwise in half--it makes 2 long strips 2" in width-- then rolled each into a little ball for use. Each scrubby took one length (sorry, I don't know how long the rolls hold, but it isn't all that long, making this process easy). Cast on 18 stitches, then knit however many rows to make whatever size scrubby you want; standard bind off and weave in ends. Mine came out to be 3.5" square, but could be 4" if I didn't have the tension so tight. I will attach a photo of it, along with a piece of leftover net so you can see what it was made of. It is sitting on top of an adorable little lavender dish cloth that daughter made for me a couple of months ago; she's the one who taught me to knit a few months ago! I think a big one would actually work out pretty well as a door mat, too.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Mother-daughter knitting duo. That sounds like so much fun. Your scrubbie is a great way of using up your netting, and a super companion for a dishcloth. That lavender cloth looks wonderful, also.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
kittykatzmom said:
FYI: It isn't a recipe it is a pattern. Recipes include food.
Not always, recipe is often used in knitting or crochet for general guidelines to make something. Here is the Merriam Webster definition:

Full Definition of recipe
1: prescription 4a
2: a set of instructions for making something from various ingredients
3: a formula or procedure for doing or attaining something <a recipe for success>

·
Registered
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
KJKnitCro said:
Mother-daughter knitting duo. That sounds like so much fun. Your scrubbie is a great way of using up your netting, and a super companion for a dishcloth. That lavender cloth looks wonderful, also.

Yes, thank you. It is something that is really helping us to become closer, such a godsend. And she does so much better at it than I think I will be able to-- she sat herself down and learned how to knit socks with a handful of DPNs and a book, and they are beautiful. She is beautiful.

·
Registered
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ljsb3 said:
I too knit scrubbies but use one strand of cotton yarn and one of the tulle netting - they usually sell out at the fund raisers.
They must be colorful and sweet with the cotton yarn in them too. How big do you make them? How much do they sell for at the fund raisers? Just curious-- I wind up giving away everything I make. (With four adult children, two brothers and a sister, everything disappears. Lucky me.) These sound like nice stocking stuffers, too.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
gardenpoet said:
They must be colorful and sweet with the cotton yarn in them too. How big do you make them? How much do they sell for at the fund raisers? Just curious-- I wind up giving away everything I make. (With four adult children, two brothers and a sister, everything disappears. Lucky me.) These sound like nice stocking stuffers, too.
I think they end up around 3 inches wide by 4 inches high? I use size 10 needles and cast on 10 stitches and then just knit each row until I feel like it is tall enough (because my hands are smaller I don't like big ones). Then I cut the netting part only and tie that off and use the cotton and just crochet around it to weave in (cover) the ends. I have been selling the for $1.25 for years. Not sure if that is a good/fair price but don't know what else to do. And Yes I give them away as gifts as well. I also buy 5 yards of the netting at the fabric store (the coarser kind) and cut that into 2 to 3 inch strips and crochet those in a circle and they sell as well.

·
Registered
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ljsb3 said:
I think they end up around 3 inches wide by 4 inches high? I use size 10 needles and cast on 10 stitches and then just knit each row until I feel like it is tall enough (because my hands are smaller I don't like big ones). Then I cut the netting part only and tie that off and use the cotton and just crochet around it to weave in (cover) the ends. I have been selling the for $1.25 for years. Not sure if that is a good/fair price but don't know what else to do. And Yes I give them away as gifts as well. I also buy 5 yards of the netting at the fabric store (the coarser kind) and cut that into 2 to 3 inch strips and crochet those in a circle and they sell as well.
Yours sound adorable! I'm going to try that. The thing about homemade things is that you can never charge enough for the time you put in, on top of the materials. It's always an act of love. : )

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom