Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I know this is an odd question but does anybody think there is any possibility that knitting with metal needles may cause a spark? Would it be a hazard if you were knitting in a room full of oxygen, or petrol fumes?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
You should NOT be in a room full of petrol fumes--and I have seen many ladies at the nursing home knit-and all were hooked to oxygen--maybe using plastic or bamboo needles might ease your mind

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all. No, I don't knit that fast. I will be doing daily sessions of Hyperbaric oxygen therapy in the new year. (Mon - Fri for 4 weeks.) Each session takes about 1 hour 20 mins so it would be a good time to knit. I guess I will have to check with the centre. I prefer metal needles but I could get used to plastic or wood.

I want to plan what to knit, get the yarn and pattern etc. Any ideas??? I would prefer something for which I can memorise the pattern.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
In the old days patients were allowed to smoke in the wards with O2 around, nobody ever started an oxygen fire, so I wouldn't worry about knitting needles.

If the staff thought there would be any danger you can be sure they would tell you

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The instructions say that no 'smoking equipment' is allowed in the chamber. (Not that I smoke) The chamber is pressurised so I don't know if that makes a difference. I'll ask those in charge.

·
Premium Member
81,186 Posts
My dream! To be locked up with my knitting and no one even able to interrupt me! :)

All the metal needles I've ever seen are supremely smooth. Usually, the striker on a lighter isn't at all smooth. I doubt you'll be striking any sparks, but it can't hurt to ask the authorities. Chances are, someone else before you wanted to knit while in the chamber.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
i knit in all kinds of medical places and have never been ask not to,but to be safe i change needles,maybe some very old steel neddls might spark, but be sure to ask, you have to do something or sleep????

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
From what I've read of the following medical created PDF from a British Columbia hospital...PLASTIC knitting needles are NOT encouraged to be used in the chamber. Since they are basically oil based...I can see the sense in that.

Happy reading!

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
trisha2 said:
Yes, I know this is an odd question but does anybody think there is any possibility that knitting with metal needles may cause a spark? Would it be a hazard if you were knitting in a room full of oxygen, or petrol fumes?
Hmm. good question. When in doubt air on the side of caution. Oxygen, petrol fumes... I'd be inclined to utilize woodent knitting needles rather than metal.

V/r,
Doc

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you all. I think a Hyperbaric Chamber is different from being personally on oxygen and, as I'm not into knitting dishcloths, and prefer metal needles, I will use the time to read through patterns and visualise how they work. I will enquire about knitting though, in case the question should come up again.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom