Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am adding stitches on to make a blanket out of a small Afghan. The pattern calls for 125 sts. but does not say how big it is, nor a Gauge. So I went to a pattern I have made before, using 2 strands held together of worsted weight yarn This pattern is using Borroco Comfort Chunky or Vintage Chunky, I really don't think the yarn matters as I am not going by their gauge or dimensions, which there are none. Anyway I am going by the guage of 2.5 sts. to 1 inch. I want it about 66" wide, so I cast on 164 sts. Now, my problem is: in this pattern I'm not sure how many sts. to count. The pattern says k4,*kfb, k4, sl 1 knitwise, k2tog, psso, k4, kfb* repeat from * to * to last 4sts, k4. This is supposed to make a Chevron Pattern. It is "The Little Miss Oni Blanket". I just typed that in the search bar and it comes up. OK, I figured the sts between stars was 13 sts. Then the 4 k at each end makes 21. So I took 164 - 8= 156, divided by 13 (the sts. inside the stars) and it came up to 12, an even number, so I thought it would work. The 164 sts divided by 2.5 = 65.6inches, which is about what I want the width to be. However, it is not coming out even. The row should end with
the k4, but ends with k2. So of course it doesn't make the pattern right. What am I doing wrong in my stitch calculation? Thanks for your help in advance. Sue

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Are you using place markers before the 1st repeat and at the end of each repeat? If you do you can count the stitches in between each marker easily.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stitch Designer. Thanks for your speedy reply. I just did that per your suggestion, and I did get 13 sts. So why won't it come out right?
I have 164 sts. -8 = 156 divided by 13 =12. That should mean 12 repeats. Maybe I'm not supposed to - the 8, but I thought that's how you come up with the right amount. Do you know what I'm doing wrong there? Thanks, Sue

·
Registered
474 Posts
Don't include the stitches at either end when you divide by the stitches in a repeat. if your stitch repeat is 13, you should multiply by the number of times you feel will give you your width, then add the 4 for the end. Right? Also, did you test your gauge to see if you'll get 66" from your cast on?

·
Banned
23,386 Posts
If your gauge is correct as 2.5 stitches to the inch, these are the numbers I come up with.

13 stitches for the pattern repeat.
8 stitches total for the edging (4 per side).
So pattern will be a multiple of 13 then add 8 to that number. AKA = 13+8.

170 + 8 = 178
178 divided by 2.5 = 71.2 inches wide.

157 + 8 = 165
165 divided by 2.5 = 66 inches wide.

·
Registered
474 Posts
galaxycraft said:
If your gauge is correct as 2.5 stitches to the inch, these are the numbers I come up with.

170 + 8 = 178

157 + 8 = 165
what she said. I wasn't sure if when you said "4 for the end" that was in total or for each end.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi BF. No I didn't count the first 4 or last 4 stitches. OK I multiplied 13 x 12 = 156 + 8 = 164. I just don't know why it won't come out right. I just made 166 sts on y needle and it came out even. I know I must be messing up somewhere, but as near as I can tell, I did it right. I will go back over this row again, just to be sure though. If I'm doing it wrong now, if I do it right, it will be wrong. LOL Yes I did check the gauge and it is just a hair over 2.5 sts per inch. But that's OK, I just don't want it to be too narrow. Anyway thanks for the help, and if you can figure what I' doing wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. Sue

·
Banned
23,386 Posts
BEChristianson said:
galaxycraft said:

170 + 8 = 178

157 + 8 = 165
what she said. I wasn't sure if when you said "4 for the end" that was in total or for each end.
Pattern row she is working with:
k4,*kfb, k4, sl 1 knitwise, k2tog, psso, k4, kfb* repeat from * to * to last 4sts, k4.
////////////////////////////
k4, = border
*kfb, = 1 st.
k4, = 1+4=5 sts.
sl 1 knitwise, = 5+1=6 sts.
k2tog, = 6+2=8 sts.
psso, k4, = 8+4=12 sts.
kfb* = 12+1=13 sts.
repeat from * to * to last 4sts,
k4. = border

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Galaxy Craft. You and BF have the width inches and stitches right, but they don't divide by 13.I know it's only 0.76 but would that be even in stitches? Would 0.76 be an extra stitch?
170 divided by 13 = 13.076
157 divided by 13 = 12.076
Please let e know as, I can't see how y 166 came out even. I was 2 sts short of even with 164 so I just made 2 more sts. and it worked. There has to be a mistake in there somewhere.
Thanks, Sue

·
Banned
23,386 Posts
9sueseiber said:
Thanks Galaxy Craft. You and BF have the width inches and stitches right, but they don't divide by 13.I know it's only 0.76 but would that be even in stitches? Would 0.76 be an extra stitch?
170 [red] 169[/red] divided by 13 = 13.076
157 divided by 13 = 12.076
Please let e know as, I can't see how y 166 came out even. I was 2 sts short of even with 164 so I just made 2 more sts. and it worked. There has to be a mistake in there somewhere.
Thanks, Sue
Sorry my previous post I must have hit the wrong number and goofed.

156 divided by 13 = 12 repeats
when you add the 8 stitches for the borders, it comes to 164 stitches total to cast on.
164 divided by your gauge of 2.5 stitches per inch, you come out to 65.6 inches wide.

Always do your repeats first,
then add the amount for your borders,
then divide by your gauge to get size.

Cast on 164 stitches.

k4,*kfb, k4, sl 1 knitwise, k2tog, psso, k4, kfb* repeat from * to * to last 4sts, k4.
Maybe you are doing something wrong in the directions.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Galaxy. Yes, that's what I did to start with, but then the thing just wouldn't come out even. I did the row twice with the same results, 2 sts short at the end. So I thought, well I couldn't have made the same mistake twice, so I added two stitches and (made the same mistake 3 times?) it came out right. lol Wow, I don't know if I want to make this thing if it's that easy to make the same mistakes three times. I've been on this two evenings and only have the border completed. Good grief, how long is this going to take? LOL Well better get to it, if I don't want to quit on it. Thanks again, Sue

·
Banned
23,386 Posts
Okay, I pulled out my needles...will get back to you with my results.
I had cast on 3 sets of pattern stitches and the 8 edge stitches.(47 sts)
Followed the instructions and it came out to the right stitch count. (47 sts)

k4,
*kfb, ==knit in front and back of the next stitch
k4,
sl 1 knitwise, ==slip 1 stitch to the right needle as if to knit
k2tog, ==knit 2 stitches together
psso, == on the right needle--pass the slip stitch over (as if you are binding off)
k4,
kfb* ==knit in front and back of the next stitch
repeat from * to * to last 4sts, k4.

And yes you will be doing the Kfb at the end of the * then continue as stated by doing another Kfb
at the beginning of the * sequence when you go into the 2nd set of repeats (next 13 sts).
So you will indeed have 2 kfb one after the other.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank You Galaxy, for going to all that trouble to help me. You guys are all great on here.

I have finished the first row of the Chevron pattern. Yahoo!!!! It came out perfectly. I knew I had to be doing something wrong, I just couldn't find it. I am now checking after each sequence of 13 stitches. I will probably do that for awhile. I sure don't want to frog it again. Although I just went back to the last Border row. I did end up having to frog one of those too, but oh well, at least I am on the right track now. Even the pass over stitch is behaving and looks pretty good. Thanks again to everyone. I am so glad I found this site with all of you great people. Sue

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dachsmom. Hi, no I counted the cast on stitches, but that doesn't always mean anything. Sometimes I have to count them2 or 3 times to make sure of the count and I didn't do that, so maybe it was off. I looked over the whole row and couldn't find any mistakes either.
Anyway, it has been figured out now, with a lot of help, and I have the right stitch count and finally made a row that came out right. Now I can go to bed. lol I just had to thank everyone before I closed up for the night. Thanks, Sue

·
Registered
921 Posts
I think the multiple for this pattern is actually 12 -- don't count slipped stitch -- since it is Passec over it's not on the needle -- when I did this pattern on as a sample -- I had 12 stitiches.

*kfb counts as two --
k 4
sl, K2tog, PSSO -- counts as one
K 4
kfb counts as two*

12 stitiches between the stars.

Take Joy,

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Not to rain on your parade, but this is a chevron pattern. To get the width you want, you need to make a large swatch with 2 repeats for a couple of inches long. Then you can determine how wide each repeat is. That will tell you how many repeats you need to make to get to 66 inches wide. From there it is # repeats times 13 stitches plus 8 stitches.

When I'm casting on a large number of stitches, I place a marker at 20 stitches or at the end of each repeat and count those stitches before moving on to cast on the next set of stitches.

·
Banned
23,386 Posts
9sueseiber said:
Thank You Galaxy, for going to all that trouble to help me. You guys are all great on here.

I have finished the first row of the Chevron pattern. Yahoo!!!! It came out perfectly. I knew I had to be doing something wrong, I just couldn't find it. I am now checking after each sequence of 13 stitches. I will probably do that for awhile. I sure don't want to frog it again. Although I just went back to the last Border row. I did end up having to frog one of those too, but oh well, at least I am on the right track now. Even the pass over stitch is behaving and looks pretty good. Thanks again to everyone. I am so glad I found this site with all of you great people. Sue
You are welcome.
Glad we got you going.
Happy knitting and have a great day. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom