Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
5,248 Posts
Not to rain on your parade, but this is a chevron pattern. To get the width you want, you need to make a large swatch with 2 repeats for a couple of inches long. Then you can determine how wide each repeat is. That will tell you how many repeats you need to make to get to 66 inches wide. From there it is # repeats times 13 stitches plus 8 stitches.

When I'm casting on a large number of stitches, I place a marker at 20 stitches or at the end of each repeat and count those stitches before moving on to cast on the next set of stitches.

· Registered
5,248 Posts
ChocPieMom said:
I kept reading about all the math problems but that's going to be the least of your problems when you're knitting a chevron pattern that makes triangles and the stitches don't stretch out to 66 inches. My bet is that all the math will change because you need to have more stitches to make 66" wide. Knit a few more rows of the pattern and at least 2 rows of the increases and decreases or at least 4 inches and then measure your width and it probably isn't going to be 66 inches but more like 44. And then follow the good instructions below. Good luck!

LilgirlCA said:
Not to rain on your parade, but this is a chevron pattern. To get the width you want, you need to make a large swatch with 2 repeats for a couple of inches long. Then you can determine how wide each repeat is. That will tell you how many repeats you need to make to get to 66 inches wide. From there it is # repeats times 13 stitches plus 8 stitches.

When I'm casting on a large number of stitches, I place a marker at 20 stitches or at the end of each repeat and count those stitches before moving on to cast on the next set of stitches.
Thank you, ChocoPie Mom - all the math discussed on these pages only works for straight patterns. Chevron patterns take more stitches.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom