Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
38,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
doing the Apache Tears rug..as mentioned I am using black wool every few inches, to "tie"it together and to represent the tears............NOW I know what you all say about black work . I have to sit in the sunshine to do the black rows..........almost impossible to see with my old eyes...........plod on, plod on..

·
Registered
546 Posts
Yep the rain and wind are certainly here and I live in an old dark house. I'm with JJ and have a strong daylight light which makes all the difference .

·
Registered
38,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mariette said:
Yep the rain and wind are certainly here and I live in an old dark house. I'm with JJ and have a strong daylight light which makes all the difference .
suny and cold all day here in Melbourne............as I need a black row once a day perhaps I can cope.......I know no it is the deradfyl Lincraft wool.it splits at every oportunity,,,,,,,,,, bendigo has sent me 6x200 gr balls of multi colur Murano.......... and I am happily beavering away!

·
Registered
52,643 Posts
cakes said:
suny and cold all day here in Melbourne............as I need a black row once a day perhaps I can cope.......I know no it is the deradfyl Lincraft wool.it splits at every oportunity,,,,,,,,,, bendigo has sent me 6x200 gr balls of multi colur Murano.......... and I am happily beavering away!
The Murano shoul dkeep you going for a while. Lovely colours in it.

·
Registered
38,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
darowil said:
The Murano shoul dkeep you going for a while. Lovely colours in it.
I am sure Murano was $20 for the 200gr ball....it is now $12..........with free frieght!....the colours ARE beautiful. the ball of black....gone to the never never bin..from Lincraft. it kept splitting, as well as being hard to see.

My rug is now about 20 inches........... talk about Joseph's coat of many colours!

·
Registered
748 Posts
I clicked on this site laabelled black wool just to see what was going on. WE have 4 black lambs this year, the first we have had in about 4 years. I am so excited about spinning their pretty wool. One is suffolk so it should be coarser, better for rugs. The others are Texel or Coopworth texel crosses, in our commercial flock of sheep. Now if only I could catch those pesky 4 yaks and their one baby, for their grayish down. Hard to harvest. I am getting more black wool in curls off my mini poodle.

·
Registered
22,470 Posts
Hipoldfarmgirl--you make me laugh. Reminded me of the book Sheepish and some of the humor in that book.

Am struggling a bit with a multi colored yarn with dark red and deep maroon and purple. Cannot wait to get thru these dark colors. I use a full spectrum lamp, too and it makes a difference. The white surface under the knitting is helpful, too, but not too much. But anything that does it.

I have some black cashmere yarn and want to do a scarf but dread the working with it due to the color.

·
Registered
38,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mawsk 54 said:
Also sun not in great supply either is it,Cakes?
It is here in Melbourne.................soft winter sun...I HATE the summer. we have blinds and AC and hop into the cold bath of water every half hour or so.........still hate anything over 20°C

·
Registered
529 Posts
tamarque said:
Hipoldfarmgirl--you make me laugh. Reminded me of the book Sheepish and some of the humor in that book.

Am struggling a bit with a multi colored yarn with dark red and deep maroon and purple. Cannot wait to get thru these dark colors. I use a full spectrum lamp, too and it makes a difference. The white surface under the knitting is helpful, too, but not too much. But anything that does it.

I have some black cashmere yarn and want to do a scarf but dread the working with it due to the color.
There are white needles available which make knitting black easier to see or how about knitpro's nova shiny tips.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Mariette said:
We're in the middle of summer here in "sunny" Cornwall but it's a bleak wet day with a very cold wind. Daylight bulbs all round.

·
Registered
22,470 Posts
The lamb photos are adorable, especially the little dark grey/black one with the inquisitive look.

The book Sheepish is written by a woman who was a city gal. She and her partner left their sophisitcated city life for a farm knowing little about what they were getting into. The author's humor is a little dry/subtle and I really enjoyed it as she describes the changes and learnings they go thru raising sheep and learning about them, the business of farming and living in a rural community. An easy and enjoyable read with lots of wool.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
I sympathize - I just bought some black cashmere wool from Knitpicks to make a dressy cardigan and am already woeing about knitting with the black... but it had to be black, so I suppose I'll have to plan on this sweater taking me a VERY long time! Would love to see a picture of your 'tears', its sounds interesting.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom