Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 100% 2-ply cashmere sweater that I bought years ago and loved. The pieces were probably machine knit, but hand assembled because I can take it apart at the seams. Anyway, living in So. California I didn't think we experienced moths -- boy was I wrong! The little beasties chewed several small holes in it and I'm irked to put it nicely. Told DH I was throwing it out and he suggested making a pair of socks out of it LOL!

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I'm so sorry! Unfortunately you did not have the benefit of learning from my experience...also in So Cal...I had bought this lovely fine gauge wool sweater on a trip to Scotland (back when I was very young and POOR so it was very dear) and took it out to wear it one day and a tiny hole dead center right between the girls. I feel for you.

·
Registered
560 Posts
It's terrible that that happened, but don't throw away the pieces. If you can't or don't want to fix it, do reuse the yarn. A beautiful yarn is a terrible thing to waste. :)

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dreamweaver said:
What a shame! Any chance of embroidering little dots or flowers over all the mends? I would felt it and cut the arms off to make some really soft and warm fingerless mitts.
That's a good idea. Will have to go over it with care and see how many holes I find. Little flowers would look nice. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cattdages said:
I'm so sorry! Unfortunately you did not have the benefit of learning from my experience...also in So Cal...I had bought this lovely fine gauge wool sweater on a trip to Scotland (back when I was very young and POOR so it was very dear) and took it out to wear it one day and a tiny hole dead center right between the girls. I feel for you.
I have some wool I haven't used yet, packed in large ziplock bags. May have to get some cedar chips or something to make sure the moths don't get to it.

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sross512004 said:
It's terrible that that happened, but don't throw away the pieces. If you can't or don't want to fix it, do reuse the yarn. A beautiful yarn is a terrible thing to waste. :)
That was my first thought Sue, but this yarn is so fine that using 000 needles would make it very airy.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Bea 465 said:
I have some wool I haven't used yet, packed in large ziplock bags. May have to get some cedar chips or something to make sure the moths don't get to it.
A while in the freezer is also not a bad idea. I can't personally swear by this advice but have read about it.

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ElyseKnox said:
A while in the freezer is also not a bad idea. I can't personally swear by this advice but have read about it.
That would cause my DH to think he'd lost his mind if he found yarn in the freezer. LOL! But I may try it.

·
Registered
993 Posts
So sorry for your critter damage. I have a favorite heavy black pullover I love to wear over turtle necks in the winter that was a major feast for a mouse. I made obvious patches from bright colored yarn and sewed one over the damaged area and a couple of other random spots. I know this was not possible with your garment but if it is something you really enjoy, I agree with the others to recycle it somehow.

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
When I lived in Southern California, I never had any problem with moths ruining my clothes. I now live in Washington State and still no problem with them. I don't do anything in particular to protect my clothes. Maybe I have just been lucky. I feel for those who have special things that have been ruined. That is so discouraging. Hope the flower appliques will solve the problem. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom