Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 2 of 90 Posts
I've always been amazed at knitters who can knit without having to looking down at their hands all the time. Which I've been doing for years!
I've tried to practice in the past, but fumbled miserably.

I figured I can do it if I really really wanted to...but that's only partially true in my case.

I will finally step up my game, more so b/c I'm encouraged or inspired. When someone comes along & describes how they told themselves to just practice not looking. I suddenly feel inspired. No more procrastination. That person makes it sound doable.

I guess it's akin to learning to write with your non-dominant hand. Your brain resists the idea, but if you had no choice you'd do it, right? You have a reason. So w/ practice your writing could improve until you are ambidextrous. Using both sides of your brain.

Wow! That's how I feel about this new skill!

I was encouraged watching 2 u tube vids recently. One was by nimble needles on how to prevent knitting pain. The young man in that video mentioned how much the human skull weighs heavy on your neck muscles, oww. Hurts my neck just thinking about it. Looking down creates a strain on your shoulders & back...poor posture, etc.

And the 2nd video by Kristin Lehrer of voolenvine knits, 'how to knit without looking at your hands'. I was binge watching her vids & one thing she mentions resonated w/ me about the benefits...being able to watch a movie or have a conversation while working on a mindless project that involves straight stockinette rows, for example. That would be great.

Now more seasoned knitters are probably there already, but I've been knitting long enough now & I'm ready to get serious!

I know how to fix a drop stitch if it happens. I have developed the patience to unravel back if necessary.

Which reminds me of another video I saw on u tube "how to rip out your knitting & pick up the stitches" The young lady bluntly states w/ what I received as a bit of tough love I needed at the time...she says imho ripping out your work is just a part of the craft & if you're resistant to it she didnt think one can fully become an excellent knitter, b/c mistakes happen. (I paraphrase).

So today has been an exciting milestone for me! I actually watched an episode of New Amsterdam on netflix, while I whittled away a bit on a knit beanie & my super simple ragland sweater I left hibernating since October 2021. Both easy mindless projects to practice on b/c it's straight stockinette on worsted weight yarn. My hat is dk wt. I also have socks on the needles, but its finger weight yarn..I'm not quite ready for that project. Baby steps.😊
o_Oo_O:cool::cool:

1 - 2 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom