Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I felt like the song from Jersey Boys last evening. What a night! I am very close to finishing a lace and cable afghan, just six more rows!! Of couse there are 296 stitches on the circular needles and for the first time in my life the cable broke. I worried all night that I would not be able to pick up all the stitches that were no longer on the cable. BUT with stitch holders and patience and of course a brand new size 15 circular set this morning I was able to get every one of those elusive stitches back onto the set.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Now I can sing "Oh What a Night" and be happy and not worried.

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
Whew!!!!! You must have been holding your tongue just right, had your toes crossed and been wishing on a lucky star.... If it had been me, I would have had to pick up what I could and then start tinking to be sure I had them all on the right way..... I'm definitely going to put a lifeline in when I work on my lace shawl!!! Six more row for you...... Will we see a picture?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I will post a picture when I get done and put the fringe on. This was my first time at working lace in an afghan. I thought that I would have to "ripit" but my husband kept encouraging me to have patience. He said...."honey, I know you, you can do this."

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't remember the brand of needle, but I have now made up my mind to take the plunge and buy a really good set. I need all of you to make your recommendations.

·
Registered
42,304 Posts
I have never had a cable break on a needle, but I am glad to hear that you were able to pick up all of the stitches and not loose any. Great work.

I guess hubby was right, he knew you could.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
You were very smart to wait until morning to pick up the stitches. If you had tried last night..., well too horrible to imagine. Good you have a supportive hubby!

·
Registered
29,285 Posts
I can break so called unbreakable needles. Have you ever knitted a "feathers" scarf? If you drop a stitch you haven't a hope in Hades of finding it

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
oh lawsy that would have scared me too!..I have never had a cable break! Frankly I would not have been able to sleep. My Mother and Granny's old cables were a twisted wire..I still have one of them. But now I know that the cables can get old and wear out,I will be..ware! Ruth..first lace project I did was a feather and fan scarf...and i never started a project over from the beginning so many times in my life...

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
So glad all worked out well! I think I will try to remember when things go badly to just put the item aside and come back the next day. I sort of do that anyway, but this is just a reminder that a fresh mind and body make a tough task easier. Hope to see finished product before too long.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom