Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've been knitting for over twenty five years. At first I took knitting classes just to have a night out away from my two babies. Then I fell in love with it and needles have been in my hands ever since. Two more babies later and many years have added countless knitting projects to my portfolio. My children are grown now and I have two grandkids, Mark age 4, and Layla age 2, who keep me inspired to knit new and interesting things. My grandson loves Thomas the Tank Engine, I have never been able to find a sweater with a train motif.....if I did I probably would be sorry! :( Sounds like a lot of work. Currently I am knitting chemo caps for my sister who is undergoing breast cancer treatment. I also just finished a pink poncho for her to wear during chemo sessions. I am inspired to knit a bunch and donate to Dana Farber, where she gets the best care. I have been living with thyroid cancer know for over two years, and Lupus. I have knitted up lots of hand warmers for myself over the years as well. Never a dull moment with our health problems but knitting has seen me through some tough times. It takes me out of my head and helps me focus on creating something beautiful and giving me a sense of purpose. I love it!

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
It was very interesting to read your story - really. You have done wonderful knitting products. I think that it is good for our happiness to knit or do some other creative work. When you make them for your near persons it increases happiness. And when you knit you are happy. I wish you and your sister will be healthy soon! Thank you a lot!

·
Registered
2 Posts
These pieces are wonderful! Good for you! I struggle with Fibro and arthritis, so I can relate to your Lupus, and as someone else said, I hope you don't mind an extra prayer or two. Peace!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You are doing some wonderful work. When you do for others it comes back to you in abundance. I will keep your sister and you both in my prayers. I will also put you on our pray line at church. You will have many praying for you now.
I am not the greatest knitter and have to do simple things. I taught myself how to knit when I was much younger and now am trying to get going again. I am knitting hats for retarded adults at the moment.
Blessings
Pat ;-)

·
Registered
45 Posts
God bless you both. There is a thomas Train pattern out there but I will need to find out from a co-knitter, where it is located. Do you have a site to go to for the pumpkin pattern/duck and mittens? Would love to make those. I have had thyroid cancer and my husband had esophageal cancer. We have both totally recovered (me 20 years out and my husband 9 years out) so prayers do work. Sue

·
Registered
171 Posts
Welcome, I lost my only sister to breast cancer about 7 yrs ago! I miss her terribly! God bless you for all your knitting projects---I will keep you both in my prayers--I had a aunt that knit hats and mitten sets for school children [underprivileged] and also adults that were living in a homeless shelter here in town. She passed away yestersaY FROM COMPLICATIONS due to knee replaxcement surgery--she was 85yrs..., I will miss her terribly---such a great woman!! I live on Cape Ann in Mass--I too am an older knitter & love knitting for family & friends~ God bless you and your family.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Irish
I think you need a prayer today also. I will say one for you.
I am an older Irish knitter also. I knit hats for adults who are retarded. It is very rewarding for me. I have to do simple things because don't know how to do hard ones. I taught myself to knit out of a book. You will have to do your aunts projects and it will keep her memory alive.
blessings
Pat

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hello peace, thank you for your prayers---I really appreciate your concern! I actually told my cousins [my aunts children] that I wanted to take up where Aunt Betty left off. She was an inspiration and did her work anonymosly [sp?]. She was knitting almost up to her death--Thanks again for your kind words and prayers!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! I love the projects you have shared with us. They are absolutely adorable and the little duck sweater is irrestible and definitely put a smile on my face!

Can you share pattern info with us for all your projects or maybe point us in the right directions? Especially the duck sweater?

My blessings to you and your sister for better health and brighter days ahead and I'll keep both ouf you in my prayers.

May I ask what type/brand of yarn you used for the chemo caps and the poncho? I would like to make some of these to donate and am not sure what would be a good yarn choice to use.

Have health issues of my own and I whole heartedly agree with you that the knitting helps get me through some tough times and keeps me centered on the finer things in life like the love of family and friends and the thought of making something for someone else to help make their world a little brighter and happier. I receive as much from that as I give. Continue your great work!

Carol L.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi Knitsnfits,
Your work shows such a sence of humor. I love the way you have posed it. The pumpkin sweater is absolutely darling. Thanks for giving smiles.
I am a 7-year survivor and had a very easy time with the chemo, but do not be surprised if your sister puts the poncho away for a while after her treatment. One needs a little time to get past it all.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Need a new friend and an Irish Lady you can contact me at [email protected]
I am 70 years old and just got back to knitting. I have 44 retarded adults that I help with gifts at Christmas otherwise they get nothing, sort of the forgotten. My name is Pat and would love to hear from you.
Blessings
Pat :)

·
Registered
46,031 Posts
Thank you for posting your beautiful work - I am soon to be grandmother for the first time and would love to make the 'pumkin' sweater if you'd like to share the pattern.

Thanks, Yona

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Hi knitsnfits, I talked to my neice yesterday, her home is in Ca. but went to visit her dtr in Ga last year, she had breast ca surgery 2 yrs ago, but while at her dtrs, they
found she had ca in her back. Yesterday was her birthday and she found it has gone in to her liver. We are very close,
we were both born in the same bed, same room. I was
10 and I didn't know we were having a baby. Then you did
not tell the young ones, found out when I came home for lunch from school. I am almost 84 now and have been
very luck with my health. Take a Vit B12 shot once a month
and aleeve for a hurt knee.(dog made me fall) no other
medication. My prayers are with you and your sister
along with MY Jane.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom