Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not saying that I'm an antique, however, I've just got back into knitting after several years; pulled out a set of Susan Bates, circular Size 7 needles that I paid $2.10 for; and another pair of Size 4, Romaxe Circulars that I paid $1.25 for ! Best I remember I must of bought these at Leeward's (remember them?). They were located in Atlanta near Covington Hwy; and that is where I had to drive from Jonesboro GA in order to get yarn and supplies for knitting ! That was probably at least 40 years ago; see some things just don't wear out !

Amazingly they still work very well. On the flip side of that, I've been into a bamboo needle kick but thinking it over wisely, I would almost guarantee that bamboo needles would never last that long !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41,373 Posts
There have been needles brought in to our Senior Center that are really antiques and they usually find a home with me. You are so right on the bamboos. Unless ou are getting the really expensive carbonized ones, the points don't hold up for me past a few projects. I have some small circulars that have steel cables and they will still be around long after I'm gone...... I remember Lee Wards. I think they had another location in IL, near where I lived.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,193 Posts
I'm 35 but have been finding Lee Wards yarn in my stash I have acquired from crafters who have passed on. Going through my yarn brings up a lot of yarn names I've never heard of, a little history lesson while I "play."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41,678 Posts
Lee Wards was very big in our area - I think they were in Elgin, IL - We'd make car trips out to buy our craft items there and then head over to Haeger Pottery to see what was the latest in ash trays (Imagine?) lamp bases, bowls, etc. I loved those outings!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,635 Posts
Onestitch said:
Not saying that I'm an antique, however, I've just got back into knitting after several years; pulled out a set of Susan Bates, circular Size 7 needles that I paid $2.10 for; and another pair of Size 4, Romaxe Circulars that I paid $1.25 for ! Best I remember I must of bought these at Leeward's (remember them?). They were located in Atlanta near Covington Hwy; and that is where I had to drive from Jonesboro GA in order to get yarn and supplies for knitting ! That was probably at least 40 years ago; see some things just don't wear out !

Amazingly they still work very well. On the flip side of that, I've been into a bamboo needle kick but thinking it over wisely, I would almost guarantee that bamboo needles would never last that long !
Wow...we could have seen each other there!!! I used to stop there on my work lunch or on the way home. I worked there, but lived in Roswell...it was country then...not "Ros-woody". (Dunwoody) Then we got a Lee Wards in Marietta. All of a sudden, there were LYS all over the North Fulton area. I got into Cast on Cottage in Roswell and started using "nicer" bamboo needles. A still have some of the yarn from Lee Wards. The needles I got there (and Cast on Cottage) were given away a long time ago..when I found KnitPicks. Small world.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So funny, when I first started knitting there were NO LYS around; I just remember Leewards. I know that I did buy some yarn a a Kmart once.
As far as the bamboo needles I like them because they don't "click"; can't stand to hear needles clicking ! In years back I mostly used plastic circular needles, still have them and they are doing well.

I did buy some bamboo needles recently and was knitting the other day and realized that one has split......I corrected it with an emery board but was real disappointed. Just can't afford the really good ones now.

Pugsmom, we have PM'd before; I had mentioned job openings at Trader Joe's........

As far as Leeward's over on Covington Hwy, I NEVER told my husband that I had driven so far with just me and the baby in the car, it would have freaked him out !

When my forty something year old daughter was about 3, I knitted (or maybe crocheted) her a bathing suit out of a cotton blend of yarn; I did find a small LYS over near the Atl airport and would frequent there.....now you wouldn't want to go into that neighborhood !

Years and years later there was a LYS and cross stitch shop in Riverdale where I lived; oh, did I love that place ! I became friends with the owners and would work there in exchange for shop goods.......talk about the brier patch !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,635 Posts
Onestitch said:
So funny, when I first started knitting there were NO LYS around; I just remember Leewards. I know that I did buy some yarn a a Kmart once.
As far as the bamboo needles I like them because they don't "click"; can't stand to hear needles clicking ! In years back I mostly used plastic circular needles, still have them and they are doing well.

I did buy some bamboo needles recently and was knitting the other day and realized that one has split......I corrected it with an emery board but was real disappointed. Just can't afford the really good ones now.

Pugsmom, we have PM'd before; I had mentioned job openings at Trader Joe's........

As far as Leeward's over on Covington Hwy, I NEVER told my husband that I had driven so far with just me and the baby in the car, it would have freaked him out !

When my forty something year old daughter was about 3, I knitted (or maybe crocheted) her a bathing suit out of a cotton blend of yarn; I did find a small LYS over near the Atl airport and would frequent there.....now you wouldn't want to go into that neighborhood !

Years and years later there was a LYS and cross stitch shop in Riverdale where I lived; oh, did I love that place ! I became friends with the owners and would work there in exchange for shop goods.......talk about the brier patch !
Yes, I remember you Mentioning Trader Joes, just never stopped to look at your name...I guess typing too fast to get all the info. My sister now lives in Covington. But my daughter lives at Indian Springs. There is a yarn shop in Macon that I keep telling her she needs to go to, but she said she wants to wait for me to go with her. There used to be so many LYS around north atlanta, but not as many now. The yarn then was not as "specialized" as now. I thought I was paying alot when I paid $8 a skein.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,402 Posts
I have needles that are older then I am. My mother started knitting and crocheting long before I was born. Never have had any problems with them, and for sure they will outlast me, as well, only to be passed down to my teenage granddaughter who loves to knit and crochet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,402 Posts
Lee Wards also had other stores, one being on Long Island in New York, as well as in Pompano Beach, Fl. Wish they were still around, as Michael's JoAnns, and A.C. Moore cannot compare to what they carried.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
984 Posts
I want LeeWards back! Remember looking at the wall of colors. You had a choice of so many shades. We just discussed going there the other day. I loved that store.
I really did like their yarn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,148 Posts
Onestitch said:
Not saying that I'm an antique, however, I've just got back into knitting after several years; pulled out a set of Susan Bates, circular Size 7 needles that I paid $2.10 for; and another pair of Size 4, Romaxe Circulars that I paid $1.25 for ! Best I remember I must of bought these at Leeward's (remember them?). They were located in Atlanta near Covington Hwy; and that is where I had to drive from Jonesboro GA in order to get yarn and supplies for knitting ! That was probably at least 40 years ago; see some things just don't wear out !

Amazingly they still work very well. On the flip side of that, I've been into a bamboo needle kick but thinking it over wisely, I would almost guarantee that bamboo needles would never last that long !
I remember Lee Wards but it would have been a mail order. I used to order a lot from KnitPicks but they quit sending their catalog. Needles, I've used Susan Bates for years and prefer them. I've never liked Addi Turbos. Bamboos are OK but not favorites.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,019 Posts
I used to shop at LeeWards in Minneapolis MN. My favorite afternoon were at LeeWards while my DH watched the baby during football games. We had one child that was in a walker. DH tied a rope to his walker and then to himself. Todd only knew how to go backwards. he could only go so far before he had to be pulled back with the rope. I died laughing when I got home. Or I should have thought of that when I wanted to knit. Todd is now 43 with an 11 year old daughter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,084 Posts
We used to have a LeeWards and a Ben Franklin in my area. Both are closed now. Lee Wards is now a Michaels and Ben Franklins is a grocery store. We just got a Hobby Lobby last summer, but I am not impressed. Lots of stuff, little yarn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Onestitch said:
Not saying that I'm an antique, however, I've just got back into knitting after several years; pulled out a set of Susan Bates, circular Size 7 needles that I paid $2.10 for; and another pair of Size 4, Romaxe Circulars that I paid $1.25 for ! Best I remember I must of bought these at Leeward's (remember them?). They were located in Atlanta near Covington Hwy; and that is where I had to drive from Jonesboro GA in order to get yarn and supplies for knitting ! That was probably at least 40 years ago; see some things just don't wear out !

Amazingly they still work very well. On the flip side of that, I've been into a bamboo needle kick but thinking it over wisely, I would almost guarantee that bamboo needles would never last that long !
I was helping my Mum sort out her knitting needles at the weekend and came across some very old looking DPNs in a type of yellow plastic... because they were a bit unusual looking I asked Mum about them, to which she told me "those needles have seen war service!" ...apparently they used to belong to HER mother (my grandmother) and she used them to knit warm collars for the navy during WWII! They have been safely stowed away back into my Mum's needle stash, but now that I know their history I will be sure to treat them with respect if I inherit them one day!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,770 Posts
Yes, Leewards was in IL - in Niles. There is a Michaels there now. I think the main one was in Elgin. I remember going to their "tent sales" in the summer and filling bags for $5. Every once in a while I run across something with a Leeward price tag.
Dreamweaver said:
There have been needles brought in to our Senior Center that are really antiques and they usually find a home with me. You are so right on the bamboos. Unless ou are getting the really expensive carbonized ones, the points don't hold up for me past a few projects. I have some small circulars that have steel cables and they will still be around long after I'm gone...... I remember Lee Wards. I think they had another location in IL, near where I lived.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,003 Posts
I have needles that belonged to my mother & grandmother...and I am an old lady myself, so I don't know how old they are...probably some of them are even older than me!

Yes, I remember Lee Wards. It was a sad day when they closed there doors here over 20 years ago. I have still a few yarn skeins & an afghan kit from there that I haven't made yet. My daughter, as a child, always hated it when I took her with me there because I always stayed too long. I told her that when I got too old to drive she would have to take me there. She told me that she'd just take me there & dump me out & go to a movie in the same shopping center. Sadly, that won't ever happen because both Lee Wards & the theatre are gone, and my sweet daughter passed away last week.
 
1 - 20 of 139 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom