Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post...I'm a newbie!!! My question: when learning a new pattern (knitting or crocheting) directions will sometimes say,"multiple of 7 +3 sts" to establish the pattern...I understand what that means, but when it's NOT given and you want to increase or decrease the size (for example, of a baby blanket) how do you establish the pattern repeat??? Is there a formula for this??? Much appreciate your help

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
You can figure it out simply by counting the number of stitches.

For example if your pattern repeats every 5 stitches and your row is 53 stitches across then your repeat is 5+3

·
Registered
10,994 Posts
yes, counting. When the pattern tells you to do this, this, that, that, this , then tells you to repeat it all - that counts out to 5 stiches. It'll vary on every single pattern you look at so you have to count.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
It is one of those 4th grade math test word problems. Knit or crochet a swatch of at least 3 or 4 inches square. Measure a center repeat for width.

If 1 pattern repeat equals X inches how many repeats will it take to equal XX inches?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom