Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of trying to make some slippers and was looking at Bernat Phentex Slipper and Craft yarn online. It looks kind of different from your everyday kind of yarn. Before I buy it I was wondering if anyone here has tried it and what your thoughts on it were. Thank You for any and all help.

·
Premium Member
29,656 Posts
if the pattern was such to have distinctive soles would it be a yarn to wear well mixed on the soles for comfort and strength and soft yarn on sides and and tops? many years ago someone gave me slippers made from Phentex, they even wore well outside on the cement etc. They eventually "felted" and then began to pill etc. but worn for years.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
These wearie cast iron. I use two strands at a time of the Phentex. I have tried them with one of worsted, but they did not seem to wear well. I also knit them 2 at a time, then there is no counting or measuring. I cringe when youngest son with size 14 asks for a new pair.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
quatrefoilknits said:
There was recently a discussion on this very subject Yarn for Slippers (Aug 3, 2016) and one poster mentioned that phentex yarn can act as sandpaper, damaging the surface of wood floors over time. :sm03:
Wow, that's good to know. I too am making slippers because I have hardwood floors and would like my guests to put on slippers. However, once they are felted they are wonderful but slippery--last winter I slipped on a stair step and ended with a nasty bruise (we won't say where). Does anyone have any idea what to put on the soles so they aren't slippery?? I really don't want to try this phentex stuff if it is like sandpaper.

I did find a slipper pattern that uses old or new flip flops where you cut the thong part off then crochet around the sole and make a nice top--I would finish one in an evening and these, of course, would then have the rubbery sole of a flip flop--this topic has been posted and discussed many times here on KP: http://www.knittingparadise.com/search-topic-list?q=flip+flop+slippers&sectnum=0&username=

·
Registered
883 Posts
Yes, there are products but I have not used them.

- One fabric-type solution is called "Slipper Gripper", another "Jiffy-Grip", and Dritz anti-skid gripper fabric. (I don't know whether these might be "sandy" like phentex.)
- There are pre-made soles such as Boye Starting Points Suede Slippers Kit, listed on Ravelry.
- There are DIY blogs which describe applying latex or silicone caulk to the bottom of knitted or crocheted slippers.

My slippers are made with two strands of Hobby Lobby's "I Love This Yarn" worsted-weight acrylic yarn (#4-medium), and so far no problems. :sm05:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom