Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1655 Posts

· Registered
5,023 Posts
Thanks for the new page. Just finishing up with Where the Crawdads Sing. A great read. Have about 10 pages to complete it. Then on to Someone Knows My Name by Lawrence Hill. I read so many great books recommended from this book club section.

· Registered
10,789 Posts
Fran42 said:
Thanks for the new page. Just finishing up with Where the Crawdads Sing. A great read. Have about 10 pages to complete it. Then on to Someone Knows My Name by Lawrence Hill. I read so many great books recommended from this book club section.
Speaking of Lawrence Hill, "Any Known Blood" and "Some Great Thing" are also terrific reads. I had read "The Book of *******" aka "Someone Knows my Name". It was really good. So, if you like that one, you'll LOVE "Any Known Blood" and "Some Great Thing". Lawrence Hill is one terrific writer.

By the way, his brother Dan Hill, a singer songwriter was quite popular here in Toronto back in the day (70's); his biggest hit was "Sometimes When We Touch".

· Registered
5,023 Posts
Ellebelle said:
Speaking of Lawrence Hill, "Any Known Blood" and "Some Great Thing" are also terrific reads. I had read "The Book of *******" aka "Someone Knows my Name". It was really good. So, if you like that one, you'll LOVE "Any Known Blood" and "Some Great Thing". Lawrence Hill is one terrific writer.

By the way, his brother Dan Hill, a singer songwriter was quite popular here in Toronto back in the day (70's); his biggest hit was "Sometimes When We Touch".
Thanks Ellebelle. I love getting recommendations from this site.

· Registered
2,691 Posts
I just finished Where the Crawdads Sing. A truly great read. I'm listening to A Terrible Country by Keith Green. Very interesting about every day life in Russia.

· Registered
2,691 Posts
grammypeg said:
I just finished Where the Crawdads Sing. A truly great read. I'm listening to A Terrible Country by Keith Green. Very interesting about every day life in Russia.
Darn autocorrect, it's Keith Gessen

· Registered
1,550 Posts
I've been listening to Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451. It was written back in the '70's, I think, and it's rather horrifying to find so many parallels to life today in the U.S. It's one of those books that you think you've read, because it seems so familiar and you hear about it quite a bit, and I was surprised that it all revolved around a main character whose name isn't familiar.

Next up: Animal Farm. Probably going to be a parallel to life today, and I want to refresh my memory. Besides, it's a great story!

· Registered
325 Posts
Books I have enjoyed recently are: Beneath a Scarlet Sky” By Mark Sullivan, I Found My Tribe, a Memoir by Ruth Fitzmaurice, and The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah. Strong women in two of the books and a wonderful surprising story in the first one listed.

· Premium Member
5,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A new topic was started on our main page so members will not have received an email prompt. Many thanks to kittykatzmom for the recommendation and also to others who have given their comments. I will add Mark Bowden to our authors' list.

"The Last Stone is written by Mark Bowden and based on a true story about two young girls, who went missing in 1975. I haven't finished the book, but it is a story about how the police couldn't let go of a cold case. One detective was ready to give up and he went away from his desk for a few minutes and went back - there was the clue right in front of his eyes after over 30 years of being a cold case. I applaud people like him, who don't give up. Thank you Dave Davis and Mark Bowden."

· Registered
2,691 Posts
Just finished "A Terrible Country" by Keith Gessen. He tells the story of going back to Russia in about 2009 to help care for his grandmother. He was born in Russia and emigrated to the US when he was 6 and became fully "Americanized". His older brother at 16 did not make the transition well and returned to Russia. It is a first person account of daily life in Russia and very interesting.

· Registered
2,646 Posts
grammypeg said:
Just finished "A Terrible Country" by Keith Gessen. He tells the story of going back to Russia in about 2009 to help care for his grandmother. He was born in Russia and emigrated to the US when he was 6 and became fully "Americanized". His older brother at 16 did not make the transition well and returned to Russia. It is a first person account of daily life in Russia and very interesting.
I shall definitely look out for this one. Is his mother a writer too? I think I have a couple of books on my To Read list.

I'm reading my second Wallander. Not the plan, but my husband is in hospital waiting for an angiogram. I needed something not too challenging.

· Registered
5,023 Posts
smasha12 said:
I shall definitely look out for this one. Is his mother a writer too? I think I have a couple of books on my To Read list.

I'm reading my second Wallander. Not the plan, but my husband is in hospital waiting for an angiogram. I needed something not too challenging.
Wishing you nothing but good news from the angiogram. Mine just went through that in February preparing for surgery on his shoulder and there were 5 blockages found. Angiogram absolutely saved his life. He is all fixed up now except for the sore shoulder. He'll get that fixed down the road a bit. He's almost 100% now. Hope the absolute best for your husband.

· Registered
2,691 Posts
smasha12 said:

Best wishes to your hubs on his angiogram. My hubs had one about 11 years ago prior to an aortic valve replacement and some blockages removed. All turned out well.
Keith Gessen is the brother of Masha Gessen, an occasional commentator for PBS news on Russian affairs. His mother dies of breast cancer some time ago.

1 - 20 of 1655 Posts
Top Bottom