Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
561 - 580 of 2,170 Posts
Discussion starter · #562 ·
Thank you so much everyone:

I have added in this page's reference for Celeste Ng (also mentioned on page 14) and Tracey Chevalier (also mentioned on page 7);
and the other three authors have also been added to our linked page.

Many thanks again. Great recommendations and comments to have posted. Have a great day.

wittystitches said:
I've been reading along but have been too busy to sit and comment...been helping DH purge umpteen years of old business papers, many if which needed to be shredded. So just a little knitting and reading going on as I also was making fabric masks for family and friends. See photo.

A few books are worth mentioning though-

A Single Thread by Tracy Chevalier...Spinster Violet Speedwell ekes out a living as a typist in the early 1930's in Winchester. A chance encounter leads her to a group of women embroiderers stitching kneelers, cushions, etc. for the great cathedral. As she learns the craft, she finds unexpected friendship and later an unlikely and complicated love.

If you have an appreciation for the likes of Scully and Mulder, Edgar Allan Poe, Madonna and the Knights of the Round Table, and if you liked Eleanor Oliphant, do read Tuesday Mooney Talks to Ghosts by Kate Racculia. It is very entertaining and surprisingly insightful.

Now, the best for last, The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd. In 1803 in Charleston, South Carolina, Sarah, a young white girl of privilege is given a gift for her 11th birthday, a slightly younger girl who is to be her personal maid. Hetty is a slave. Thus begins a a tale that stretches over 35 years, told in alternating chapters, that follows each girl on her path through life. One leading Sarah to abolition and the other leading Hetty to defiance but always intertwining. Based on historical events in the lives of Sara and Angelina Grimke, trail blazers in the quest for emancipation and forerunners in the fight for women's rights. Splendid writing, wonderful characterization.
Having recently moved after 40 years thankfully my paper purging days are now behind me! What a chore it is though.

I'm a big fan of Tracy Chevalier so will look forward to that one and I too absolutely loved The Invention of Wings and am looking out for more of her books. Not easy these days with all the libraries shut although I am able to access ebooks through the library. As I don't have a Kindle yet but only my iPad it's not a very handy way to read for me as I can't slip it in my bag or pocket as easily as a book! Thinking a Kobo will be my next gift to me; think of all the money I'm saving by not going out!! Stay well and thank God for books and knitting xxx

jemima said:
Yes beanscene thanks for knitting and books and of course KP. The days are long but a last the weather has improved in the UK
Yes, just move from Kent, well Beckenham, back to my Essex girl roots. Much enjoying the sunshine, peaceful walks and bluebells in between reading and knitting!

Attachments

aljellie said:
Another vote for The Invention of Wings. Sue Monk Kidd has a new book just published but of course I can't remember its title.
THE BOOK OF LONGINGS - About the wife of Jesus?
Have you read THE SECRET LIFE OF BEES - on my list but never available to borrow so I'm waiting patiently!

Discussion starter · #568 ·
beanscene said:
THE BOOK OF LONGINGS - About the wife of Jesus?
Have you read THE SECRET LIFE OF BEES - on my list but never available to borrow so I'm waiting patiently!
Will check out the Book of Longings - thank you.
Read the Secret Life of Bees some time back. Very good.

beanscene said:
Yes, just move from Kent, well Beckenham, back to my Essex girl roots. Much enjoying the sunshine, peaceful walks and bluebells in between reading and knitting!
A bit belated Sally but congratulations on both your recent anniversary and your move back to Essex. It appears to be a lovely area. We are debating the wisdom of remaining here or downsizing but after being confined in this comfortably sized house, something smaller is rapidly losing its appeal.

beanscene: Two pictures I've seen of your new home area. Oh such a beautiful place. Glad to know you got to move back "home". Enjoy your beautiful area.
I read Little Fires Everywhere and Everything I Never Told You. I don't remember much about either book so they didn't make a big impression on me. But that's just me. Took the easy way recently and dug out an old Nora Roberts book SEARCH. Used to read a lot by her back in the day but not for years. So enjoyed the romantic suspense novel. Loved the premise of the story . . .the main character being a dog trainer for a search and rescue organization. Light reading I know but I enjoyed it for a change. Next on the stack: What the Wind Knows by Amy Harmon. A book club read for me. Stay safe everybody!

Fran42 said:
beanscene: Two pictures I've seen of your new home area. Oh such a beautiful place. Glad to know you got to move back "home". Enjoy your beautiful area.
I read Little Fires Everywhere and Everything I Never Told You. I don't remember much about either book so they didn't make a big impression on me. But that's just me. Took the easy way recently and dug out an old Nora Roberts book SEARCH. Used to read a lot by her back in the day but not for years. So enjoyed the romantic suspense novel. Loved the premise of the story . . .the main character being a dog trainer for a search and rescue organization. Light reading I know but I enjoyed it for a change. Next on the stack: What the Wind Knows by Amy Harmon. A book club read for me. Stay safe everybody!
Thank you Fran. It's very peaceful and relaxing and with our young family members living here too we don't feel isolated or alone.

I'm with you on the Ng books - nothing to write home about. I'm currently reading a stand alone Stuart MacBride novel, A DARK SO DEADLY, bit grisly but an e book download from the library and keeping me engaged although I'd still rather be turning proper paper pages - quaint, old fashioned me! Enjoy your book club read and keep us posted.

beanscene said:
Thank you Fran. It's very peaceful and relaxing and with our young family members living here too we don't feel isolated or alone.

I'm with you on the Ng books - nothing to write home about. I'm currently reading a stand alone Stuart MacBride novel, A DARK SO DEADLY, bit grisly but an e book download from the library and keeping me engaged although I'd still rather be turning proper paper pages - quaint, old fashioned me! Enjoy your book club read and keep us posted.
Have to agree with you . . . a quaint, old fashion reader. Somehow I have to have the real book in my hand. Tried electronics and that just doesn't work for me.

Fran42 said:
Have to agree with you . . . a quaint, old fashion reader. Somehow I have to have the real book in my hand. Tried electronics and that just doesn't work for me.
I'm persevering as all our libraries are currently closed so only ebooks available but give me the real thing any day!

Discussion starter · #575 ·
Hi everyone.
Just before we went in to lockdown one of my book suppliers was closing down with lots of books on special offer etc.
Randomly chose an Inspector Devlin mystery - "Bleed a river deep" by Brian McGilloway. Set in Ireland.
Not an author I'd heard of before - turned out I chose well. Good news is that I got a deal so have two more to read in the same series.
Don't you just love it when a plan comes together.

sdftrace said:
Hi everyone.
Just before we went in to lockdown one of my book suppliers was closing down with lots of books on special offer etc.
Randomly chose an Inspector Devlin mystery - "Bleed a river deep" by Brian McGilloway. Set in Ireland.
Not an author I'd heard of before - turned out I chose well. Good news is that I got a deal so have two more to read in the same series.
Don't you just love it when a plan comes together.
Yes the serendipity of a random good buy of a good book (or books) is an awesome feeling! Love it when that happens.

anngie said:
Just wondering here, has anyone read Normal People by Sally Rooney? It just came up on Overdrive but I have other books to read as well. So little time.......
Ooh nice surprise as I haven't been able to access KP at all today - keep getting a system error message yet you've just popped into my inbox!

Normal People is on my list to read but seems very popular as it's never available to borrow. I haven't read any of her books so I'm not much help. Look forward to hearing your opinion if you do read it though.

Discussion starter · #580 ·
Hi and thank you for the latest new authors. Have added them to our linked page.
Not sure what is going on with KP but I had a prompt to this section but it started from the last page which is weird because I posted on this one! Guess something is afoot!

561 - 580 of 2,170 Posts
Top Bottom