Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I just returned from 2 weeks of camping and our house is in desperate need of cleaning and organizing!
In fact we have been camping a lot this summer. I don't know where to start. It's hot also. The kitchen, bathrooms.
The basement still has water from the last heavy rain and the laundry! I want to cry. The garden is over run with weeds
and some very large cucumbers. The mail! You wouldn't believe the number of catalogs. Any suggestions? We don't have
money for helpers. Thanks for listening.
:sm26: :sm26:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Pick one small thing and get it done, ignore the rest until that one is done and then move on. Pick an easy one first so you can feel like you made progress. I have been in your situation many times so I understand. A good cry doesn't hurt either. Courage for you as you face your challenge.

·
Registered
10,997 Posts
Start some laundry first. Then sort the mail into to bills/keep cause it looks interesting/recycle catalogs & junk mail. Hit the bathroom. Check if laundry is done, if so move to dryer and start another load. then deal with basement flood. When you need a break from the physical work in the basement, sit down to rest and look at the interesting mail. See, you already have some stuff done!

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Break it down into smaller units babs. Just tell yourself in the morning you only have to get the bathroom ordered. Do not think of goals or finishing. Just keep plowing ahead in the one area you have set yourself. Next plot out what to do w/ the basement water. Period. Some will be tomorrow's plotting out. Keep going. One step after the other.

It will get done. Do not think any further about ALL that has to be gotten to. Just one or two things at a time.

Rooting for you.

·
Registered
519 Posts
There are those times in life when we can't see the forest for the trees. It's where you sound like you are now.
You've been gone for two weeks, plus, so give yourself two weeks to get through the house.
Don't look at the big picture - i.e., everything!
Make a list of what has to be done in each room then break it down into manageable tasks and set your timer.
Go through the mail with the recycle bag next to you and simply get rid of anything which isn't absolutely necessary to go through - and go through them later like in the evening while the telly is on.
Look at your list and see what on it is giving you the very most aggravation.
Give yourself 1 hour in the kitchen and when your timer dings, stop. Do something else not cleaning related - read, watch Dr. Phil, knit. Let your mind and your emotions rest.
Then walk into the bathroom and do the same thing. Set your timer and stop when it goes off. Rest. Take a nap.
Don't bother with the outdoors until it's cool(er) in the morning or evening. The weeds will still be there, and they will have multiplied, but grab the cukes and pop them in the fridge.
Be kind to yourself and give yourself the same time to get things back under control as you were gone. It's not a race.
(((Hugs))) to you, Babs!

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I do the Chi-Chi chi. My best friend named Chi-Chi told me to just spend 5-10 minutes on one of the things that needs to be done. Sometimes you may only do 5-10 minutes (then go knit!!), but at least something got done. Other times you just might get "involved" and continue for far more than the 5-10 minutes. It's been working for me. Best to you.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Can your husband help? if he is not ill and I think not as you have been camping and that is a lot of work packing everything, food shopping etc. Let him know you need a hand as things are over whelming for you. Maybe if he went outside and did the yard and the basement while you did over things. Sometimes men just don't get it unless you ask them. Don't over do in the heat a little at a time, you always have another day. Take care-nanad

·
Registered
820 Posts
You probably aught to start with the basement, depending on how wet the basement is or how deep the water is. Is your home old or relatively new. You could have bad mold down there! As for the rest, do the laundry and get your clothes back in order. Then begin to get the house in order and finally, what's left from the camping trip, put things where they belong.

I totally under tan your feelings. My house is a mess and I have boxes of stuff all over due to a total reroofing of our house. My husband has Parkinson's Disease and myself a bad back and trouble walking. All I can do is set a goal to do one thing each day. If I can do that I feel like I have accomplished a good deal But it isn't essy, especially for me because it is all up to me. All DH does is continue to add to the mess...

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
nanad said:
Can your husband help? if he is not ill and I think not as you have been camping and that is a lot of work packing everything, food shopping etc. Let him know you need a hand as things are over whelming for you. Maybe if he went outside and did the yard and the basement while you did over things. Sometimes men just don't get it unless you ask them. Don't over do in the heat a little at a time, you always have another day. Take care-nanad
Just a note: She didn't say she had to do it all herself. I am sure that it will be a joint effort getting things sorted out.

And others posters are right: Just do it in small chunks and it will soon be done. I sometimes think I would just like to wave a magic wand, but then I start nibbling away and it soon gets put to rights.

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
Can you hire different people to help with the basement, the yard work and the cleaning?
We had to have a disaster cleanup company come after our basement flooded several years ago.
Last year DH hired a young man who had an ad in the church bulletin to help with a one-time major yard cleanup.
After DH had back surgery two years ago he hired a housekeeper. She comes every two weeks; I will never let her go!

·
Registered
30,096 Posts
Paet said:
You probably aught to start with the basement, depending on how wet the basement is or how deep the water is. Is your home old or relatively new. You could have bad mold down there! As for the rest, do the laundry and get your clothes back in order. Then begin to get the house in order and finally, what's left from the camping trip, put things where they belong.

I totally under tan your feelings. My house is a mess and I have boxes of stuff all over due to a total reroofing of our house. My husband has Parkinson's Disease and myself a bad back and trouble walking. All I can do is set a goal to do one thing each day. If I can do that I feel like I have accomplished a good deal But it isn't essy, especially for me because it is all up to me. All DH does is continue to add to the mess...
H
I would start with the basement, also, for the reasons you mentioned. If mold starts growing, it will be very, very, expensive to fix, and very bad for your health.

To the OP:
As for the rest of the house, I would tackle it like we did our present home when we moved here two years ago.

Sort the laundry and work it into your schedule.
I always like to work with some nice upbeat music. For me, that's 60's oldies.
The most important rooms are the kitchen, bathroom and your bedroom. In the kitchen, deal with any dirty dishes first, then counter tops and stove, putting away whatever you come to. Clean the floor.
Clean the bathroom. Do what you can to get rid of clutter, based on your available storage space in there. Wash any bath rugs if needed, then clean the floor.
In the bedroom, change sheets, then make the bed. Start in one corner and work around the room, dusting and putting things away as you go. If you have carpet, vacuum. Otherwise, clean the floor.
Now you have the most important things done, and you have a tidy clean bedroom you can go into to escape the rest of the disorder, and a clean bathroom so you can take a nice shower, and a clean, orderly kitchen to prepare food.
After that, do one room at a time and give them the same treatment.

All of this can be done in blocks of time that can allow for rest periods. I also have a bad back, so I know you need to take those breaks. You can fold laundry during these breaks, also.
Decide when you will quit working each day. Then QUIT! I always picked 5 PM, but obviously you can choose your own quitting time.
I learned that one way to help with my back pain was to get into a very warm bath and soak a bit after I was done for the day. I also take four 200-gram ibuprofen tablets (that's prescription strength), to help with the inflamation in your body after your work. I also have a muscle relaxer I can take.

Now, do some quiet thing that is enjoyable to you.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
babs46 said:
My husband and I just returned from 2 weeks of camping and our house is in desperate need of cleaning and organizing!
In fact we have been camping a lot this summer. I don't know where to start. It's hot also. The kitchen, bathrooms.
The basement still has water from the last heavy rain and the laundry! I want to cry. The garden is over run with weeds
and some very large cucumbers. The mail! You wouldn't believe the number of catalogs. Any suggestions? We don't have
money for helpers. Thanks for listening.
:sm26: :sm26:
See what jobs can be divided between both of you. Tackle the ones you feel are the most 'urgent' (to me that would be laundry). Don't try to do it all at once, a l;ittle everyday if you can.

Good Luck

·
Registered
31,678 Posts
I know that overwhelmed feeling very well. I am experiencing it right now with all the projects I have going. You are getting some good suggestions already. I would definitely put a load of laundry in the washing machine so it can wash while you do other tasks. Next I would start in the kitchen and get it thoroughly cleaned before moving on to the next room. Next, I would do the bathrooms. I use the same products to clean all my bathrooms, so get something to carry those cleaning products in and tackle the bathrooms one after the other. Next would be the living room. Get rid of any clutter and then dust everything and then do the floor. Leave the bedrooms for last, as anyone coming over for a visit will not see the bedrooms. Take your time. You do not have to have everything done at once. Set one day aside for each room, except the bathrooms. Maybe your husband could work on the yard while you are cleaning inside. At one time, I got so many mail order catalogs that they hardly fit in the mailbox. I finally started calling each one that I no longer wanted to receive and had them take me off the mailing list. It took me about 3 months, but I finally got it down to just a few. When you finish your cleaning, make that your next project.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
as others... check out the basement water and make sure that gets cleaned up as that can be a health & home issue. Other than that, pick a few things that really don't take very long but give a lot of bang for the buck. In our house the dining room table gets stacked full. We've found it doesn't actually take very long to clear it, but it makes a huge improvement to the look of the room. Deal with the mail and trash the things that aren't important. Just because you received catalogs doesn't mean you need to look at them. They will send you new ones soon enough.

I also like to break down tasks on a list... sometimes I break them down into itty bitty things. "put toilet paper on the roll" Mostly because the little bitty things aren't so scary. And take time off, it doesn't have to be perfect! And it certainly doesn't have to be immediate

As a future thing, when I'm going away on an extended trip, I spend extra time before the trip getting the house cleaned up because I don't like coming home and feeling like it's on top of me. I rather come home and go "ah.. just laundry and mowing to tackle".

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
Sit down with a nice cup of coffee and write a list of every little job you can think of, sometimes I sit in each room for a few minutes with my pad and pen, then prioritise the jobs. Then just tackle one thing at a time apart from the laundry which can be done at the same time it's amazing how doing a list can make you see what's most important and how satisfying is it to tick something off. Good luck

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom