Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question:

If the purpose of the yo is to create another stitch and a hole then why doesn't it read:

p5, skp, k5 ?

Because after the 5 purl stitches the yarn is already in the front, why should it read "yo" at that point if I'm going to do a slip stitch then a knit? The "yo" will automatically be created, right? It truly confused me because I took my yarn to the back in an effort to do what it said, "yo" and ended up 16 stitches short. I took the row out and did p5, skp k5 and ended up with right amount of stitches.

I'm sure one of you knitting geniuses know what I'm trying to say.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand that and I know how to do it, I just think it is confusing the way it is written.

For instance if I p5, k1, yo skp - the yarnover makes since.

but the way it is written p5, yo skp, the yarn is already in the front therefore does not need to be written as a yarn over. Silly me, I actually thought I was following directions and in an effort to yarnover took my yarn to the back.

Thanks for your reply....I think my brain is just working in over time!

·
Premium Member
13,045 Posts
To make a yo after a purl and before a knit you can simply leave the working yarn in the front, or you can move it to the back by taking it over the right-hand needle before knitting the next stitch. Either way will give you a yarnover in that case.

However, the point you are trying to make about the "yo" not being necessary in the written pattern because a yarnover is "automtic" is not true. If the yo were not explicitly written in the pattern, then it would mean that a yo was not intended to be there, and the proper way to go from the p5 to the skp would be to p5, then reposition the working yarn to the back between the needles (for the next knit stitch) and then work the skp. You never assume that a yo is intended just based on the postion of your working yarn. That is why it is important to remember to move the working yarn to the front to purl and to the back to knit - so you don't make an accidental yarnover.

·
Registered
9,632 Posts
TammyK, you are so right and that leads to the use of assume as an acronym that I am all to often a "victim" of. Or, should I say a perpetrater of? Our brains betray us if we let them!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom