Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hubby went in to the hospital today with a 90% blocked artery. This is his third one. I am so thankful we have the technology today to treat this kind of disease. Monday, he will have a pace maker put in. His heart rate is very low. I would like to hear from other KP members that have had one put in or maybe a spouse. I guess I am looking for some encouragement.
Thanks

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
You are right, that we have great ways to deal with this now... I do not have a pacemaker, but my grandmother had one many, many years ago.... when they were not nearly as sophisticated. You had to go back in to change the batteries after a certain number of years. She told the dr. to schedule her battery replacement for 10 years out... She never had a problem....She lived to 96... healthy as can be...... I'll be thinking of you both on Monday and sending lots of positive energy and healing thoughts..... I'll bet he will start feeling better very quickly.... Take your needles to pass the wait time... and know that we are all here anytime you need a little hug....

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Having worked in one of the finest hospitals on the West coast, and on the cardiac unit, I can tell ya it is a piece of cake. Pacemakers are nothing any more, I would worry more if he had to have a hip replaced, or had pneumonia...will keep warm thoughts for you and your husband, I just know it will be ok....Blessings

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
My grandfather and my father had them, both lived well into their eighties.

As ladysjk states ... my father's was a piece of cake, no worries at all. I don't remember about my grandfather's as I was too young to know the medical details, but I remember he was doing odd jobs around town, gardening and mowing grass, right up until he died at the age of 88.

Your hubby will be fine, a new man, so watch out ! ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have had a pacemaker for about a year now. I am a VERY young 70 year old woman :eek:] It is a breeze !! When I came home from the hospital it felt "strange" having something under my skin. I don't even think about it anymore. I go to the doctor every six months or did before I got the machine that came with my pacemaker set up. It's sits in my office and checks out how my heart is doing everyday..sends the info out to St Jude hospital and if anything is wrong they call the doctor and tell her about it.
Before I set this up I would go into the doctor and she would place a pad over the pacemaker and get a reading and let me know I have been doing great !! Tell your hubby that we are lucky to have this great gift ! Relax and enjoy this wonderful machine ..Forget he has it.. and do something fun and wonderful each day.. We are the lucky ones !!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Well my mother had a pacemaker put in at age 90. She unfortunately only lived one year after it was put in. But she was confused before because her heart rate was so slow she suffered from oxygen deprivation. She was able to function much better after the pacemaker.
But the pacemaker will give your husband a better quality of life. My mother had other complications. I am sure he will do well. I will put him on my prayer list. Good Luck and may God watch over you both during this time. :thumbup: :D

·
Registered
223 Posts
My mom had 2 pacemakers. First one in 82 and second in 90. After the first one she saw her dr in elevator at hospital and he asked her how her pacemaker was doing and how she liked it. She told him it was great and that she was recommending one to all her friends.

She did great and prayed for you and husband...God Bless.

·
Registered
752 Posts
My husband has had a pacemaker/defibrillator, then had batteries replace. His only comment-I did not have any pain. He had it put in about 7 years ago. The defibrillator has worked several times. The pacemaker very few. He does his machine reading over the phone-info goes to California. Any problems they notify the VA hospital in Gainesville, FL. Cardiologist calls and sets an appt. To me it is a miracle! Now if technology could just conquer cancer, his latest problem.........

·
Registered
159 Posts
My husband is 60 yrs old and working on his econd pacemaker. He was mid 40's when he finally had one put in. He kept passing out with no warning. He still works and fells great. Modern tecnology is a great thing. He gets his checked over the phone. We live in cape may new jersey and his dr is in phila. Good luck

·
Registered
13,253 Posts
My father's pulse was very, very slow: 30 beats per minute. I brought him to the ER and they put in a pacemaker. Ten days later he had a stroke but fully, yes fully, recovered.

I was always afraid that the stroke came from a clot that was loosened by the the pacemaker. You can ask your doctor.

After that, he was kept alive for many years. They are great.

·
Registered
38,822 Posts
Dreamweaver said:
You are right, that we have great ways to deal with this now... I do not have a pacemaker, but my grandmother had one many, many years ago.... when they were not nearly as sophisticated. You had to go back in to change the batteries after a certain number of years. She told the dr. to schedule her battery replacement for 10 years out... She never had a problem....She lived to 96... healthy as can be...... I'll be thinking of you both on Monday and sending lots of positive energy and healing thoughts..... I'll bet he will start feeling better very quickly.... Take your needles to pass the wait time... and know that we are all here anytime you need a little hug....
I absolutely agree with Jynx, my mum had one for 13 years after having a few nasty blackouts. She lived to 93 and we only lost her then after she got pneumonia following a hip fracture. Good luck but I'm sure neither of you will need it!!

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Nothing to worry about. Great device.
Just read up on it to for example not go through an Airport (or other) security check.
The Heartbeat will be monitored from afar and get a check-up every 6 month usually.
The ones used now are good for quite a few years.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
My co-worker had to have a pacemaker put in. She was back to work in about a week, and is doing just fine. One of the plusses is that they gave her a little card saying she cannot wear a seat belt! *LOL I hate those things!*

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I had open heart surgery a year ago that put me into total heart block, which means I have no natural electric signals in my heart to make it beat. I am totally dependent on my ICD (pacemaker/difibrillator). No problems and my monitor scans it every Sunday night to check for problems.

I even have a motion detector in it that speeds up the pacing when it sense that I am moving, just like a normal heart would do!

With a pacemaker you only have to be careful of magnetic fields. So no scanning with the wand at the airport. Idon't have any problems with my microwave, though I don't stand near it when it's on, and no problem walking through the security scanners at the store. I just don't linger between them. Most of the time I don't even think about it being there. Technology is wonderful!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
My mum is now on her third one and without it we would have lost her years ago .so I'm so thankful for it.every day is a massive struggle for her.but she still looks amazing and the most beautiful lady in the world.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
My mum is now on her third one and without it we would have lost her years ago .so I'm so thankful for it.every day is a massive struggle for her.but she still looks amazing and the most beautiful lady in the world.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom