Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im currently in the middle of doing a pram blanket but
i thought i might have a break and do something else

but when i read patterns i panic and think i cant do this!!

does anyone else do the same and can anyone suggest whats best?

im fairly new still to the world of crochet and getting used to the conversions of UK to US and i get flustered when reading :(

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
I'm in the UK too, and use a lot of the American patterns, so I know what you mean about the differences in terminology, it can be confusing. In time you will be able to pick a pattern up, and instictively know what to do if it is an american one. What I did in the beginning, I wrote down the English stitch and beside it wrote the USA equivilent, ie, sc = single crochet (american) becomes dc = double crochet (english) and kept it beside me all the time so that it was handy just to look at. I did this for all the basic stitches and it worked a treat. Now I don't need to look anymore, I know them all. Good luck Leonora.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
NikkiW86 said:

im fairly new still to the world of crochet and getting used to the conversions of UK to US and i get flustered when reading
I used to when reading patterns and still do a little but one or two ofthe free download sites print a list of abbreviations and needle sizes for both UK and US knitting, i have a couple of these which i passed round with any free patterns i download to our knitting group. Hope this helps a little

·
Registered
16 Posts
I enjoy the process, as well as the finished product. Just start knitting, follow the pattern (even if it makes no sense to you). When I do this, it usually works out very nice, if not, I frog it and use the yarn for another project. Blessings, Sandi P.S. sometimes I start over several times before the pattern makes sense.

·
Registered
69 Posts
This happens to me, even when reading the newspaper or a book, and yes patterns. The overwhelming feeling or anxiousness will go away if you just take one sentence or one row at a time. Cover up the rest of the pattern by clipping a blank piece of paper over the rest of the pattern. This REALLY helps me. You CAN, but your eyes say something different. Good luck.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hey, there, from South Carolina in the US! I have the exact opposite problem converting from European to American lingo.....when I work long enough I start thinking in European and have to retrain my brain to switch back! I also crochet left-handed so I have one more thing to turn around in my head!

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
NikkiW86 said:

im fairly new still to the world of crochet and getting used to the conversions of UK to US and i get flustered when reading :(
Copy the pattern so U have a copy U can write all over without making it unusable later on.
The Knit-Step Program
1. Buy yr ndls and thread/yarn
2. Lay out pattern so it is steady & readable.
3. Read it over. Write out any parts that seem confusing in language U understand. Make a chart for yourself if that will help U.
4. Cast on.
5. Start the pattern. DO NOT READ AHEAD. Follow the pattern doing one thing at a time. For example, if the pattern says K2, *YO, k1, k2tog* 16 times, just K2, then YO, k1, K2tog until you have done THE PART BETWEEN THE ASTERISKS * 16 times. U might drop dry beans or macaroni pieces into a bowl every time U do the k2tog to make sure U have done it EXACTLY 16 times.
6. Read what comes next. For example, "k to end of row." Do that. Go on to the next instruction and do that ONE PIECE AT A TIME.
7. Take your time. This is a craft, not a race. All you need to have is a usable object at the end. If you only make one thing in your whole life, that is O.K., too!

A sticky note may help you keep your place in the pattern.
If U want to have a "carry on" project to keep with you while comuting, or waiting at some office, that's just fine. If you like to work on something different on Wednesdays, go right ahead. There is nothing to fear. The Knitting Police were disbanded after the Persians were defeated at Thermopolae and never reintroduced.
And if you need help, we are always here, my sister. There are such experts here that you will be amazed at their know-how and skill.
HAPPY KNITTING! and Welcome to our KP Family!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I just take it one line at a time. I've had problems converting from US to UK terminology. I found myself doing a US dc instead of a UK dc or US sc.... Now wasn't that confusing:) Anway, just writing it out helps. I also do read the whole pattern once through first. I think about how to make the stitches and where they are asking for something I might have to think about. Then I just do it one line at a time.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dsynr said:
NikkiW86 said:

Copy the pattern so U have a copy U can write all over without making it unusable later on.
The Knit-Step Program
3. Read it over. Write out any parts that seem confusing in language U understand. Make a chart for yourself if that will help U.
4. Cast on.
5. Start the pattern. DO NOT READ AHEAD. Follow the pattern doing one thing at a time. For example, if the pattern says K2, *YO, k1, k2tog* 16 times, just K2, then YO, k1, K2tog until you have done THE PART BETWEEN THE ASTERISKS * 16 times. U might drop dry beans or macaroni pieces into a bowl every time U do the k2tog to make sure U have done it EXACTLY 16 times.
6. Read what comes next. For example, "k to end of row." Do that. Go on to the next instruction and do that ONE PIECE AT A TIME.
7. Take your time. This is a craft, not a race. All you need to have is a usable object at the end. If you only make one thing in your whole life, that is O.K., too!

If U want to have a "carry on" project to keep with you while comuting, or waiting at some office, that's just fine. If you like to work on something different on Wednesdays, go right ahead. There is nothing to fear. The Knitting Police were disbanded after the Persians were defeated at Thermopolae and never reintroduced.
And if you need help, we are always here, my sister. There are such experts here that you will be amazed at their know-how and skill.
Awww thank you so so much!! i feel very warm reading that and you have eased my mind!! thank you thank you thank you :)

:-D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
crochet_away said:
I never read ahead, if i get to a point where i think WHAT!!! i look it up lol
im learning not to now well trying haha!! they look so daunting but once i get used to reading the patterns i should be ok i just wish that it was all 1 way of doin stitches and not US then european it really doesnt help lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
hi nikkiw86 i am the same as you i live in stockton (was born in linthorpe middlesbrough) hope to catch you up on here welcome to the gang they are a great lot of men and woman very helpful good luck

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
poetess said:
hi nikkiw86 i am the same as you i live in stockton (was born in linthorpe middlesbrough) hope to catch you up on here welcome to the gang they are a great lot of men and woman very helpful good luck
Oh wow another local person!! I am astounded as to how many are on KP! Its such a small world lol! But I'm glad I know I have a few people nearby and a huge network of amazing people on here :)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Dsynr said:
NikkiW86 said:

The Knit-Step Program
4. Cast on.

Dsynr, I love your advice. You can also use the post-it (sticky) to mark your rows. Make a line on the sticky when you have finished a repeat. Same as beans, just to keep count. When you have 16 lines you are finished with that section. Get a clean sticky and put it under the next line. I have also made a copy of the pattern and used a hilighter to color out all of the done parts. There are all kinds of things that you can do to make it your own. Do copy, fold, spindle and mutilate until it is tamed to your hand. Like Dsyn said, the knitting (crochet) police fell out of public favor and lost their funding, so they won't come around.
You can do it. If I can , you certainly can. I never do anything hard.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom