Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pattern for a felted pumpkin bag. By Susan muffed designs.
It says use size 11 circular needles and 10.5 dans. Bag base...
Co 25 st. Knit for 40 rows. Pick up a total of 90 sts. Around base of bag.pm. Established pattern; k4, p2 to marker (15 segments). From this point all inc. and dec. are made inside the purl sts.
Question? Do I knit straight on the circular needle doing the 25 co for 40 rows
And then pick up 90 sts.

Also do I have to join to start working in the round?
Help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Yes. You can use the circular needle to knit back and forth to make the base. When you have knit the forty rows, you will not cast off - you have 25 stitches on the needle. Now, pick up stitches along the side - from the ends of the rows you've just knit. You should be picking up 20 stitches. Then, pick up 25 stitches across the cast on edge. Then another 20 along the other side of the rows. total of 90 stitches. Place a marker, which tells you where the begininng of your rounds are - and just start knitting with the next stitch on the opposite end of the needle - which will be the first stitch you knit of the last row you made on the base. You will now begin knitting in the round, doing a knit 4, purl 2.

You don't give more, which is fine, but I'm guessing they will want you to do some increases and decreases for some form of shaping of the bag - this will be done probably between the two purl stitches - since it said "inside the purl sts" - it will tell you the exact spot later... As long as all the shaping is done in the purled parts of the segments, you'll be doing fine.

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
nana7knits said:
Does 15 segments mean 15 rows?
Not in this case. It means, you will have one segment of knit 4, purl 2, then a second segment of knit 4 purl 2, and so on - later, when you increase and decrease in the purl sections, it won't be knit 4 purl 2, it might be knit 4 purl 3.... (again, don't know the exact numbers, just guessing).

Instead of "segment", they could have said, "Pattern repeat". so, you have 15 pattern repeats around the base of the bag.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom