Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Though this is a minor thing - I'm just curious and would like to know if I'm reading this wrong and would like to hear some input.
I started to knit a dish towel and when I got to row 5 the math didn't add up. I got the free pattern from Ravelry.com - it is called Chili pepper red kitchen towel. I think the reason I'm bothered by the math is that this pattern has been around since July 2009 and the comments left on the site make no mention of this error.
Pattern is as follows:
Cast on 68 stitches
Row 1 & 2: K2, P2 to end
Row 3 & 4: P2, K2 to end
Row 5 thru 28: Repeat Rows 1 thru 4, 8 times
Row 29 & 31 Knit across
Row 30 & 32 Purl across
Rows 33 to 124: Repeat rows 1 thru 4, 23 times
Rows 125 & 127: Knit across
Rows 126 & 128: Purl across
Rows 129 to 162: Repeat Rows 1 thru 4, 8 times
Bind off

To my way of thinking you can't knit 4 rows 8 times and end up at row 28. Pattern is set at 8 times - then knit and purl, center of towel 23 times, knit and purl again ending with another 8 times.
Let me know what you think!
Thanks

·
Registered
262 Posts
Looks to me like that should be, at Row 5, "repeat 6 times"....must be just a typo. That leaves you 8 rows shorter than the way the pattern is written, but it would come out right with the rest of the pattern to the end....yep, I think it's a typo...

·
Registered
262 Posts
This pattern looks good, and I've been wanting a dish towel...may try that - someday, after I finish 8 or 9 baby shower gifts for this summer! Let me know how it turns out. With so many rows, I don't think you'll miss those 8 rows the pattern left out! So I'd just knit it that way, change repeat 8 to repeat 6...you're leaving out 4 rows, times 2, total of 8....not a great big deal in a dish towel so long! Have fun!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Peaches n Cream and size 5 needle.
If you pull up the pattern of the towel looks to me that there's a set of 8 - then the center of the towel which is a set of 23 and then to balance it out a set of 8 again. I know it's only a towel - and who's going to notice!!! But it just seems to me that it should be a set of 8. I came up with 6 like you until I looked closer at the towel. Call me crazy!!!

Annie Oakley said:
P.S. What kind of yarn are you using? What size needle?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think you're right...maybe the error is in the other end, where that should be 6 instead of 8???!!!!!

Are you on ravelry.com? I tried to get on, then backed away...a little concerned about their legal questions, and what looked to me like the possibility of viruses...but I'd love to try it, just don't have the nerve yet!

·
Registered
14,208 Posts
Barb R said:
Though this is a minor thing - I'm just curious and would like to know if I'm reading this wrong and would like to hear some input.
I started to knit a dish towel and when I got to row 5 the math didn't add up. I got the free pattern from Ravelry.com - it is called Chili pepper red kitchen towel. I think the reason I'm bothered by the math is that this pattern has been around since July 2009 and the comments left on the site make no mention of this error.
Pattern is as follows:
Cast on 68 stitches
Row 29 & 31 Knit across
Row 30 & 32 Purl across
Bind off

To my way of thinking you can't knit 4 rows 8 times and end up at row 28. Pattern is set at 8 times - then knit and purl, center of towel 23 times, knit and purl again ending with another 8 times.
Thanks
Hey Barb...did you send a message to Janet Carlow? the designer...I would be interested in what she says..
Things like this bug me too lol

·
Registered
835 Posts
This is a really cute pattern! Might have to make this one. After looking at the pattern, and the pic of the towel, she has made a typo error on the rows. I see a repeat of 8 on each end?????

·
Registered
894 Posts
don't just multiply 8x 4 getting what you think is 32 rows.

You have already done 4 rows you are actually only going to repeat it 6 more times. (24 rows then the 4 you have done makes 28) total of 8 repeats.If you write out row 5= row 1 row 6 = 2 and so on it comes out to 6 repeats of the 4 rows.
very confusing should read repeat 6 times more hope this helps Jane

·
Registered
41,678 Posts
As long as you do the same number of repeats at the end as you did in the beginning, your pattern will work out just fine....I'm sure the repeat were meant to be "6" instead of "8" and 6 results in the row #'s mentioned...but if you want or already did the 8 repeats in the beginning, no need to rip out, just knit the same 8 repeats at the end.

I've run into quite a few patterns in my short knitting life that contain math or stitch errors....so I go through the entire pattern to be sure it makes sense before I start and it's why I appreciate those patterns that have been tested and include corrections to the pattern.

·
Registered
651 Posts
This REALLY bugs me too cos you MUST count the first 4 rows BEFORE the written 8 repeats.. so therefore 9 x 4 = row 36 you would have done .... which is WAY off what the pattern says... ?? Will be interested in what the pattern really is..goodluck

·
Registered
428 Posts
Knitters Notes: Found on Ravelry
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/gailzy/chili-pepper-red-kitchen-towel
Pattern says that I am to repeat the 4-row pattern 8 times between rows 1 and 28 (and again after the last stockinette border). There’s an error there: 7x4=28 or 8x4=32, but 8x4 doesn’t equal 28. Not sure which one was meant (row 28 or 8 repeats), so I did 7 pattern repeats, using the Asian philosophy that uneven numbers have more eye appeal.

I counted the nubs and I got 32 before starting the st. st.
Mary in VT

·
Registered
258 Posts
Barb R said:
Pattern is as follows:
Cast on 68 stitches
Row 29 & 31 Knit across
Row 30 & 32 Purl across
Rows 129 to 162: Repeat Rows 1 thru 4, 8 times (*this should be 9 times*)
Bind off

Thanks

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No Camilla I didn't - I had thought about it and then noticed the pattern was 2 yrs old - thinking that if there was an error after all this time it would have been caught and fixed. I'll do that -and see what see has to say. I continued with my line of thought - I'm knitting 8x -23x and 8x - It will be balanced or not (ha,ha)

CamillaNelson said:
Barb R said:
Pattern is as follows:
Cast on 68 stitches
Row 29 & 31 Knit across
Row 30 & 32 Purl across
Bind off

Thanks
Hey Barb...did you send a message to Janet Carlow? the designer...I would be interested in what she says..
Things like this bug me too lol

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You're thinking like I am!
I think you and I would get along well - lol

quote=kmsimone64]
Barb R said:
Pattern is as follows:
Cast on 68 stitches
Row 29 & 31 Knit across
Row 30 & 32 Purl across
Rows 129 to 162: Repeat Rows 1 thru 4, 8 times (*this should be 9 times*)
Bind off

Thanks
[/quote]

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes Jane very confusing!

waya said:
don't just multiply 8x 4 getting what you think is 32 rows.

You have already done 4 rows you are actually only going to repeat it 6 more times. (24 rows then the 4 you have done makes 28) total of 8 repeats.If you write out row 5= row 1 row 6 = 2 and so on it comes out to 6 repeats of the 4 rows.
very confusing should read repeat 6 times more hope this helps Jane

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don't plan on riping it out -will do and see what happens.
Thanks

RookieRetiree said:
As long as you do the same number of repeats at the end as you did in the beginning, your pattern will work out just fine....I'm sure the repeat were meant to be "6" instead of "8" and 6 results in the row #'s mentioned...but if you want or already did the 8 repeats in the beginning, no need to rip out, just knit the same 8 repeats at the end.

I've run into quite a few patterns in my short knitting life that contain math or stitch errors....so I go through the entire pattern to be sure it makes sense before I start and it's why I appreciate those patterns that have been tested and include corrections to the pattern.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Will get in touch with her.
Thanks

clogden21 said:
I know myself as a new designer I appreciate it if someone finds an error in my patterns that they let me know so I can correct it.

That pattern sounds interesting. i will have to check it out.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom