Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Did your pattern work out right after Round 4, did you end with k2, yo, k1, p1?

I will see if I can work it out.

Here's the lace pattern if someone else wants to look as well:

Lace Pattern:
Rounds 1 & 3: Knit all stitches Round 2: *yo, k3, sl 1 – k2tog – psso, k3, yo, k1* repeat from * to end. Round 4: *k1, yo, k2, sl 1 – k2tog – psso, k2, yo, k1, p1* repeat from * to end. Round 5 and 7: *k9, p1* repeat from * to end. Round 6: *k2, yo, k1, sl 1 – k2tog – psso, k1, yo, k2, p1* repeat from * to end. Round 8: *k3, yo, sl 1 – k2tog – psso, yo, k3, p1* repeat from * to end.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. My last stitch was a P1. I now have 113 stitches. Thanks for helping.

diziescott said:
Did your pattern work out right after Round 4, did you end with k2, yo, k1, p1?

I will see if I can work it out.

Here's the lace pattern if someone else wants to look as well:

Lace Pattern:
Rounds 1 & 3: Knit all stitches Round 2: *yo, k3, sl 1 – k2tog – psso, k3, yo, k1* repeat from * to end. Round 4: *k1, yo, k2, sl 1 – k2tog – psso, k2, yo, k1, p1* repeat from * to end. Round 5 and 7: *k9, p1* repeat from * to end. Round 6: *k2, yo, k1, sl 1 – k2tog – psso, k1, yo, k2, p1* repeat from * to end. Round 8: *k3, yo, sl 1 – k2tog – psso, yo, k3, p1* repeat from * to end.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Sometimes lace patterns add stitches in one row, then return to original count a few rows further on.
Try putting in a lifeline on the row with the last verified count, then work the entire repeat to see if the count returns to original cast on.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Cath,

Thanks. I'll do that and see if I come up to the same number.

Catarry said:
Sometimes lace patterns add stitches in one row, then return to original count a few rows further on.
Try putting in a lifeline on the row with the last verified count, then work the entire repeat to see if the count returns to original cast on.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Hi! I have looked at the pattern. Either the mistake happened in Round 4 so you started 5 with 3 extra stitches, or something has gone wrong in Round 5.

If you still have round 5 on the needles, you can give a quick check to see if you made the mistake in round 5 by looking at the stitches. The purl stitches should stand out, so you should be able to just check that there are 9 stitches in between every purl stitch. If you missed a couple of knits, that would be the easy solution, and you can just take the stitches back one at a time until you get to the mistake, then continue around.

However, it is perhaps more likely that the problem happened in round 4. If you can look at those stitches on the needle as well, what you should see is 1 stitch after your round marker, then a pattern of

yo, 5 stitches, yo, 3 stitches 9 times and ending with yo, 5 stitches, yo, 2 stitches

Can you see anywhere that you have a different number of stitches in between your yarn overs in Round 4?

It seems to me that the most likely mistake to make would be to have either forgotten to slip a stitch over or k1 rather than k2tog before the stitch is slipped over. It would be harder to identify the latter in the pattern.

Honestly I think what you will have to do is look to see if the problem is in 5 or 4, and take down your knitting to that point. It is frustrating, but not a huge amount of work since it is at most 2 full rounds.

I did look at the stitch count for this pattern, and it is the same after each round of the lace pattern, the increases and decreases balance, which might help. Also, the repeat is always over 10 stitches, so you could put a stitch pattern every 10 stitches and that way if you run into a problem you'll know right away.

Don't let this discourage you from knitting in the round! Lace knitting can trip anyone up whether they are knitting straight or around. Hang in there! Let me know if you have any further questions or want to talk it out further. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I read diziescott's response, and she covers all the bases.
Since she affirms that the stitch count is steady across all rows, her suggestion to mark each repeat and count within each will quickly show any errors.
Her avatar shows her work, so she's got the chops to steer you right in solving this...better than I did, since I didn't check the row counts to see if they stay the same.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply everyone. I'm going back ones stitch at a time (don't know how to use a lifeline). Not giving up though. Determined as ever. This is my moms chemo cap/beret/slouchie.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did have to start over and am now on Round 8 of the lace pattern. I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly though. The pattern says:

Round 8: *k3, yo, sl 1 – k2tog – psso, yo, k3, p1* repeat from * to end.

I came up with only 8 stitches with this. Am I doing it all wrong? I remember you saying that the pattern repeats in 10 stitches so I did follow your advise to put markers in place so I don't lose count. Here's what I have so far. I did the less slouchy version of the hat instead.

diziescott said:
You can do it! You'll be a lacy-in-the-round expert in no time! Your Mom will so love having something made by you. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found it. My mistake! I was following a piece of paper where I copied the pattern and I copied it wrong. Instead of K3, I wrote K1. So that's why I was missing 2 stitches! Stupid me!

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I am so glad you are back on track with this hat! It is looking good. :) It sounds like you are getting to the point where you know what the pattern should be doing, which makes it much easier to notice and fix when something isnt quite right! :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is so true! Once I knew what it was supposed to look like, it seemed easier to back track to mistakes. Also, I am being very careful now not to make mistakes. I don't want to do it all over again!

diziescott said:
I am so glad you are back on track with this hat! It is looking good. :) It sounds like you are getting to the point where you know what the pattern should be doing, which makes it much easier to notice and fix when something isnt quite right! :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to you I was able to do two! Amazing. Marking the repeats was genius!

diziescott said:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom