Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started knitting this shrug very beautiful. Yarn is Debbie Bliss angel- book is 'Angel' and on size 8 needles- 25g balls.

Cast on 102
right side is 1st row: k2,p2,k2 to end
2nd row p2,k2,p2. repeat these rows 5 times more then place markers at each end of last row (don't understand) because then
next row: right side cast on 44sts, k to end.(don't get it)
next row: cast on 44 sts, p to end (190sts).
then just continue is st st .
I always have a problem with anything I knit- patterns are confusing at times.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
2nd row p2,k2,p2. repeat these rows 5 times more then place markers at each end of last row (don't understand) because then
I think what this means is knit rows 1 & 2 then repeat rows 1 & 2 5 times, meaning you should now be on row 13 place a marker at the beginning of row 13 and at the end. the casting on directions are confusing. I would take it to mean that at the end of row 13 you should cast on 44 stitches turn your work and knit the next row (or purl depending on what side of your work you're on. at the end of that row cast on 44 stitches, turn your work and purl to the end (or knit if you're on the knit side. then continue in straight stitch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Andy
Let me try to help...when they tell you to place markers it can either mean on the needle, as in to mark a change of some type for your knitting, or to actually mark the knitted piece for later on. An example is say on a sweater that you will later pick up stitches on to continue knitting, it might say pick up stitches BETWEEN the markers, etc. So check the entire pattern to see if later on you will use these type of markers...if so I wrap and tie a piece of yarn in another color here for easy sighting later on...say red yarn, as it's easy to see.
If they are saying to mark here for the new cast on stitches to be noticed later on in the knitting...doesnt sound like it...then just buy markers to go on your knitting needle or use a piece of yarn to move from one needle to another to mark the change of pattern stitch.
All of that said...as far as the cast on during the knitting process, there are a lot of videos on YouTube to show you how to do this and it's easy. Good luck, I hope I helped somehow...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Aha, re-read the post and I get it...you are going to put the markers on the needle to mark the place where you are changing pattern. so this shrug is made on the increase...maybe like a triangle. YOu work the first few rows and then you increase by adding stitiches on to the end of each row to make it bigger as it goes along. YOu are putting a marker on the needle AFTER the new cast on stitches, to mark when to end the K2,P2 and just knit or purl across, as the pattern calls for...it's telling you to mark the change on pattern so you know when you slip the marker to do something different in your knitting :)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Knitting Nan explained how to use the markers on the shrug
increasing for a triangle beautifully. I couldn't have
explained it so well but I knew what Andy was asking. I am
so glad to be a part of this site where we can be of help
to each other. 10jean

·
Registered
926 Posts
andy said:
I started knitting this shrug very beautiful. Yarn is Debbie Bliss angel- book is 'Angel' and on size 8 needles- 25g balls.

Cast on 102
I always have a problem with anything I knit- patterns are confusing at times.

Thank you
You need to do your first 12 rows even. At the end of row 12 you will place a marker and then cast on 44 new stitches. Row 13 will be started then by knitting across the 44 new stitches and the other stitches that you have already been working on. At the end of row 13, place a marker and cast on another 44 stitches (on the other side of work). Row 14 you will purl across the 44 new stitches and then the rest of the stitches on your work. Then continue in stockinette stitch for however long the pattern tells you. The extra 44 stitches on each side is probably the sleeves of the shrug.

I hope this helps.

Debbie

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Andy,

Debbie explained those instructions perfectly. The markers are to remind you to do something different at this spot. In this case read ahead in the pattern. If it says something like: "Sew sleeves together from markers to cuff."
Then you need to use the kind of marker that, though removeable, will attach to the work itself. Clover makes markers that are plastic safety pins. Or use white yarn tied on the stitch. You will cut that off later.

·
Registered
15,145 Posts
Cast on 102

When you finish Rows 1 and 2 (ribbing) you should have 12 rows and would put your markers (tie or loop a piece of contrasting yarn through one of the loops) at each end of that row. (Row 1 is right side, Row 2 is wrong side)

Row 13: (Right Side) Cast on 44 sts; Turn and knit to the end
Row 14: (Wrong Side) Cast on 44 sts; Turn and purl to the end. 102 + 44 + 44 = 190 stitches.

Continue in stockinette stitch. Knit Right Side; Purl Wrong Side.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you. I finally get it. I just couldn't picture what the pattern was saying, but thanks to people like you who have that 'know how' and I appreciate it very much.

Knitting Paradise is the very best site for everything there is especially knitting.

Andy

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Debbie,
Thank you for your help on 'Big Shawl'. I know I would not have gotten anywhere without your help. I will post a picture whenever it is completed.
Will be a while never worked with this type of yarn before it is so fine.
BUT, I may have more questions as I continue.

Thank God for knitters like you--

Andy

·
Registered
926 Posts
Hi Andy,

To tell the truth, I have only been knitting on a regular basis for less than a year. I've gotten a lot of information from other knitters, the same as everyone else. But I have done a lot of patterns in crochet that you add on additional chains on each side of 2 rows. When you said it was a shrug, I knew you would have to add the sleeves. In this case they are made with the piece, instead of making something separately. I'm glad everything is working out.

Debbie

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom