Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I' m trying to knit the Daniella shawl by Nancy Rieck. I picked the yarn up while on vacation and the owner of the shop gave my a copy of the pattern. Which was nice since I was purchasing quite a bit of yarn.

I have had nothing but problems with this pattern. As you can see on the photo lots of mistakes. I have frogged so many times and almost every row of the 8 row pattern has been a challenge. Poor old thing is heading off to the frog pond!

I really like the pattern but think it might be time to put it and the yarn in time out.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
The perversity of inanimate objects is amazing..... time spent in the naughty basket can sometimes make them behave. http://www.fezayarns.com/patterns/jewel-patterns/ is the pattern (for others, and it's free)
Are you, can you, use stitch markers? That would give you a chance to count the stitches and correct anything off before continuing. it is a 23 stitch repeat for the pattern and it is very interesting.
the yarn is very pretty too .. shows nice definition and is a color that will be good with lots of others.

At any rate.... I just wanted to acknowledge your vent.... it will get better.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
when you begin again, place markers at every pattern beg and end, that way, if something goes wrong, you only have to count to find the pattern with the wrong number of sts in it to correct your mistake. I love to knit with lace, but I use lots of markers while doing it...

·
Registered
11,084 Posts
I have to agree with the others, stitch markers are your "friends". I use them to separate each repeat, then I count my sts in that repeat bf going on. Yes it's a bit slow but until your familiar with the pattern it beats ripping it out. It's probably a pesky yo that has been missed!

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I have had problems with a pattern as it was simple but a large number of repeats. After 3 days and frogging any number of times i enlarged the charts and lo and behold i got it. Im now a chart convert. I love charts. So maybe work with the charts if any. Good luck. And i love the colour.

·
Registered
15,729 Posts
trixiedee said:
This still doesn't seem to work out. I keep trying it
Try following the chart instead. I've checked the chart & the instructions for Row 3 are correct as written. It is a multiple of 23 + 10. If you follow these steps, maybe it will be easier for you.

Start again & work the 8 stitches before the blue line on the chart, PLACE A MARKER (PM),
work the 23 stitch repeat sequence between the blue lines, PM, work the same repeat one more time (2 x total), PM, (note: the repeat in the written instructions is within the two **'s)
then work the last 2 sts to the left of the blue line.
(23 x 2 = 46) + 10 = 56 CO sts).

Make sure you have markers in between each repeat. You should have 3 markers.
The written instruction should match the chart & your YO's should line up as in the chart.

Hope my instructions make sense as I still need to get some sleep. Let me know if you need more help.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I managed to follow the written instructions and it does work OK. Markers are the answer and check each repeat that you have 23 sts in each repeat, 2 sts at one end and 8 stitches at the other end.
Looking at your photo it looks as if the sk2 could be wrong....slip 1, k2tog, psso.....
This is not an easy pattern to follow, not one to do with a cat sat on your knee trying to help.
Good luck with it. It will be beautiful.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
rahi said:
I have had problems with a pattern as it was simple but a large number of repeats. After 3 days and frogging any number of times i enlarged the charts and lo and behold i got it. Im now a chart convert. I love charts. So maybe work with the charts if any. Good luck. And i love the colour.
one way or the other, it's a lovely pattern and well worth the time.... keep on knittin'

PS...sometimes I count and write sts at the end of the line on the chart... I write them on one end for the front and on the other end for the back to remind myself which way I'm going and counting..... it will look like this...just for an example.... k3,p4,k10,sl1,p4,k3

and remember, since you are new to charts.... a black square represents a st that USED to be there but is now gone (usually as a result of a dec st) and is just a placeholder...you do nothing when you come to one, just ignore it and go on to the next square...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom