Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. So Gram here is just back from 10 days in Alaska with 1 yr. old grandson. Suffering severe "grandma-withdrawal symptoms." (It's 5,000 miles away!!) Daughter is going to have the new baby at the end of January. They want nothing, have little and are very non-materialistic…but….she did say she would like a nice baby blanket for the new baby. Got it!! Anyone have a suggestion for yarn type and pattern for this? You know it has to be VERY special! I know I could just "google" but you guys are so much better than google! Thanks in advance for any suggestions. And Happy Needling. jb

·
Registered
945 Posts
I love these, Sirdar one looks more complicated than it is, similar one a variation is the Shawl and cot blanket, and the other is a selection of shawls /blankets. I have more if you want, all old out of print now I think.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,211 Posts
I know what you mean about withdrawal.
Did you see the TURTLE blanket made this week? It was based on dish cloth pattern, just made into blanket size.
Also there is the alphabet letters to use. I prefer the bobble looking letters, rather that garter st. (google)
Someone on here made a giraffe blanket that was to die for.
May I suggest using the search feature at top of page and seeing what other KPers have made.
Hope you find a lovely blanket pattern to make.
Linda
jberg said:
Okay. So Gram here is just back from 10 days in Alaska with 1 yr. old grandson. Suffering severe "grandma-withdrawal symptoms." (It's 5,000 miles away!!) Daughter is going to have the new baby at the end of January. They want nothing, have little and are very non-materialistic…but….she did say she would like a nice baby blanket for the new baby. Got it!! Anyone have a suggestion for yarn type and pattern for this? You know it has to be VERY special! I know I could just "google" but you guys are so much better than google! Thanks in advance for any suggestions. And Happy Needling. jb

·
Registered
12,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I knew you guys would come through! Knit or crochet is fine. I don't consider myself an expert at either but I can do both. "yourmother" I love the second one you posted. It will be at the top of the list. Gramma still weepy here! Thanks. Happy Needling. jb

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have a whole line of knitted blanket patterns on my web site: littlepiggypatterns.com. Most are basic stockinette background with reverse stockinette designs: giraffes, ducks, cows, pigs, stars, trains, tractors, boats, fish, etc.

I hope you find something you like - wherever you find it!

·
Registered
4,804 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
The other way of going around this is to find a good local spinner who would spin you some soft wool- for me,it would be Shetland , maybe even with a photo of the sheep it came from. I'd think that would be special. I know my equally non-materialistic daughter would love that...just an idea. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Liz at Furze said:
The other way of going around this is to find a good local spinner who would spin you some soft wool- for me,it would be Shetland , maybe even with a photo of the sheep it came from. I'd think that would be special. I know my equally non-materialistic daughter would love that...just an idea. Good luck.
Love that idea, my daughter too would love to know it helped a local artisan and not a big corp. May I also suggest something plain and useful, like the basket weave which is nice and warm. Also today they all swaddle so a cacoon would also be good. Congrats on the new addition and good luck.

·
Registered
11,872 Posts
jberg said:
I knew you guys would come through! Knit or crochet is fine. I don't consider myself an expert at either but I can do both. "yourmother" I love the second one you posted. It will be at the top of the list. Gramma still weepy here! Thanks. Happy Needling. jb
Your poor thing! bless your pointy heart! To be so far from the kids and grands! Mine are very close and I choose not to move because I'm the only grandparent they have! Hopefully you will get back when the new baby is born. Put your longings for them and the little guy into the new blankie and poor you love into that. I hope the pain eases soon to a tolerable level!
Caro.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
jberg said:
Hi jberg
Got some samples for you.
Have patterns, yarn, needles info too.
Send me a PM
ICE in NJ

Attachments

·
Registered
12,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good morning all! Gram's doing less crying today and wants to thank all the posters for their responses here. I'm really leaning toward something like the bavarian crochet or tunisian entrelac in shades of green and tan, boy or girl, durable and warm, prob a cotton/wool blend. Daughter puts everything in the wash together so some of these beautiful handwash delicate ones would not do. Thanks so very much for all of your input. You are all making Gramma here feel a little better today. Thanks again. You are so appreciated! Happy Needling. jb

·
Registered
316 Posts
How about choosing something, pattern, colors, etc., that can last beyond babyhood. Something maybe bed size that a toddler might like too. Will you know the sex before the birth? That would help in choosing appropriate colors. Or, possibly making a blanket for a toddler bed later on. I didn't make but gave my grandson a "blanket" made from a length of camoflage fleece (was a Christmas Eve last min. find) when he was in his gi joe stage and later on a blanket with his favorite MLB team on it. He loves them and takes both to bed with him and won't leave home without his MLB blanket.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom