Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, Im actually looking for Baby surprise jacket pattern (free) on internet...but can't find it..Can someone help me out please.

And

Also looking for pants crocheted pattern (free).

They're all for charity (hospitals) for preemies.

Thanks for helping me.

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Unfortunately, the original Zimmerman Baby Surprise jacket is not available for free. It has to be purchased from Schoolhouse Press here

http://www.schoolhousepress.com/patterns.htm

Just scroll down to find the pattern

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
missvix61 said:
Unfortunately, the original Zimmerman Baby Surprise jacket is not available for free. It has to be purchased from Schoolhouse Press here

http://www.schoolhousepress.com/patterns.htm

Just scroll down to find the pattern
The copyright on this Baby Surprise Jacket is still very active and you are right, the pattern is not free, it must be purchased.
There are other similar patterns but not this one as this is made all in one piece and was the brainstorm of Elizabeth Zimmerman. :)

·
Registered
728 Posts
You can borrow the Elizabeth Zimmerman books from the library. My local library had to request it from another district through their LINKS program. I don't know if that is available at your library but ask the friendly librarian. They are well worth the money to purchase but I am also on a tight budget so use the library.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just wanted to write with a bit of a warning. I purchased the Jenny King crochet Baby Surprise Jacket pattern and it was full of omissions and errors. There were 8 rows overlooked in the pattern and several rows that had duplicated and conflicting instructions. It is definitely not worth the money. I strongly recommend purchasing the EZ original to check against any pattern you might decide to try or use. The number of repeats for any given row is important to creating the unique shape. I have now purchased EZ's pattern and will be constructing my own version once I get the kinks worked out and all errors eliminated. I hope that you find this post helpful!!! Blessings.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
melitadenning said:
I just wanted to write with a bit of a warning. I purchased the Jenny King crochet Baby Surprise Jacket pattern and it was full of omissions and errors. There were 8 rows overlooked in the pattern and several rows that had duplicated and conflicting instructions. It is definitely not worth the money. I strongly recommend purchasing the EZ original to check against any pattern you might decide to try or use. The number of repeats for any given row is important to creating the unique shape. I have now purchased EZ's pattern and will be constructing my own version once I get the kinks worked out and all errors eliminated. I hope that you find this post helpful!!! Blessings.
It is also well worth noting too, that the BSJ by SchoolhousePress that Meg Swanson has "rewritten" to accomodate the language of her mother has been done for our understanding of the terms/words that Elizabeth Zimmerman has left out. There is also a video tutorial of the BSJ that a lot of knitters have found to be useful. I will see if I can find it, I do believe that I had bookmarked it at one time.

I think this is the one. http://www.examiner.com/knitting-in-providence/baby-surprise-jacket-bsj-knitting-pattern-video-video

Here also is the Baby Surprise Jacket knit along that Loistec started and has been done now for a while. Any BSJ knitters would find this useful. http://www.knittingparadise.com/t-21217-1.html

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am wanting to knit this jacket but I am in the UK. and the needles and wool are different to what we have . Do you know what ply of wool I would need to buy ? would double knitting wool do and size 4mm needles or will it need to be smaller needles and thinner wool .

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
bewilderedbev said:
Hi,
There are a couple of free patterns on Ravelry (free membership) listed under baby surprise jacket. I'm not sure if these patterns are the same as Elizabeth Zimmerman's but its worth a look
None of them from ravelry are the Elizabeth Zimmerman's Baby Surprise Jacket unless you have purchased it from the School House Press. There are wannabe's and knock-off versions but not the authentic one.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hi,
There is a pattern for Mitred U Baby Jacket by Megan Mills which is a free pattern but I'm not sure if it's exactly the same sweater. There were are two Drops Designs b20-15 and Drops 18-25 that may be similar. I think one is a crocheted version of the pattern

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
bewilderedbev said:
Hi,
There is a pattern for Mitred U Baby Jacket by Megan Mills which is a free pattern but I'm not sure if it's exactly the same sweater. There were are two Drops Designs b20-15 and Drops 18-25 that may be similar. I think one is a crocheted version of the pattern
There is only one Baby Surprise Jacket pattern and that is the one designed by Elizabeth Zimmerman. There are no other BSJ because the pattern is strictly copyrighted by her daughter, Meg Swanson. Like I said, there are a number of knock-offs out there but not any that are the Baby Surprise Jacket.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom