Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • If you're seeing this message, it is because you do not meet the requirements to start a new For Sale thread. Members need 20 posts and 30 days registered. If you do meet these numbers, it can take up to an hour for permissions to update.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
just a small fact about paypal, it is a great company but last year someone hit my bank acct thru paypal, it was attached for years and I only used it one time in ebay, anyway. the bank closed the acct it was hit 18 times for ups charges totaling over 1800 bucks, needless to say it caused a bunch of trouble. If I hadn't had another acct I don't know what I would do. Went on for months but finally got it all straight, but I will never again attach paypal to anything I own

·
Registered
205 Posts
cimiron said:
just a small fact about paypal, it is a great company but last year someone hit my bank acct thru paypal, it was attached for years and I only used it one time in ebay, anyway. the bank closed the acct it was hit 18 times for ups charges totaling over 1800 bucks, needless to say it caused a bunch of trouble. If I hadn't had another acct I don't know what I would do. Went on for months but finally got it all straight, but I will never again attach paypal to anything I own
I have an account with paypal, and a paypal credit card that I can use anywhere. I've used it often and never had a problem. However, it is a credit card and is in no way connected to any accounts I have. Don't know if that makes a difference. Anyone else have the credit card and had any trouble?

·
Registered
59 Posts
The best way to do paypal is to use a debit cash card with a recharge feature on it. My card has a maximum of $200.00 at any given time (I also use it for groceries and gas). Once a month I add money to it (allowance) and once its gone its gone. So if some was to hack it, I would only have to worry about $200.00. I have my card through Smart Pig and it doesn't cost me anything to maintain.

·
Registered
90 Posts
We've used paypal for buying & selling for quite a few years, and never had a problem. Seems to me individuals are more likely to get hacked than PayPal. For instance, I don't store personal financial information on my computer. I never email account numbers or passwords. I don't respond to phishing emails and come-ons. Also, I prefer not to use instant messaging. Email is instant enough for me.

·
Registered
376 Posts
i opened an account strictly for my pay pal account, i never have over $100 in it. I never had a problem with Pay pal, but I did with Ebay - my account was hacked and luckily they caught it while I was on vacation. Thousands of dollars of electronics. But I still haven't bought anything through ebay again. Use Pay Pal all the time. no problems.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I used to have a Paypal account, "they" restricted it for me years ago, when I used it to have someone from England pay for an antique gun - legally antique by both US and EU laws (mfg 1884, and really obsolete), but Paypal being in Kalifornia, they didn't like it.
They locked my account for 6 months, then after that I was told the only thing I could do is withdraw my $.
I left the $ there for quite a while, they were paying better interest than my bank, but when it dropped to nearly nothing, I took out all but one penny, so my account is technically still alive, I guess.
Now they want me to link an unexpired credit card to it, and I am leery. I had it linked to both a savings account and a valid card back then, but what recommendation would everyone make, in regards to using it again? I have heard other horror stories.
Does anyone know of another safe method, or should we simply mail each other checks or money orders?

·
Registered
59 Posts
get a cash debit card, they are great for a lot of things. Dave Ramsey I believe has links to some places that carry them.

If anyone wants to use Smart Pig (great for saving goals, is insured by the federal gov. and pays 1.35% interest) the cash card doesn't earn interest, but there's no fees, please PM me and I'll send you a referral.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
cimiron said:
For this reason, I opened a checking account at a different bank than I normally use just for my paypal funds and linked it. I never keep more money than I would mind losing in that account and do NOT click on any links in any emails. There are lots of pfishing emails about paypal around.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a Paypal account. I have my settings on the account so I am required to log-on to approve the payments in Paypal each time. It takes a little more time. Another fixture I like about Paypal is that many websites let you check out using Paypal. You don't have to list all of your information again on each site. I have money transferred to Paypal. I don't buy anything with a credit card on-line so I don't mind having money sitting on my account. It is a great way to budget for hobbies. Just be aware of the delay on sending and receiving your funds.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just because you have to log on with a password doesn't mean you're safe. I had a major problem because I had everything linked to my bank accounts and everything was wiped out including my overdraft account. Paypal was really good about refunding the money, but it took some time. By using a different bank with limited funds and a Cash debit Card I no longer will be taken to the cleaners. No matter what you do can you be 100% safe. My MIL thought just because she doesn't do anything online she was safe, but her indenty also got hacked by someone working at a bank.

·
Registered
205 Posts
knitwit29 said:
I also have a paypal credit card. I personally have never had a problem. Reading the stories tho...I sure will be paying close attention.
I keep all my receipts for anything not purchased on-line and keep up with everything that I do purchase on-line and compare to my bill each month to make sure nothing funny has occurred. So far I've not had a problem.

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
I am so new at all of this I wouldn't even know how to get a pay pal card... a link to how we could do this would be great... that is a link that someone has used and hasn't had a problem with... I would be more interested in the card that I could add money to like some people have mentioned.. nothing linked to my personel accounts.. that would not work for me... we have had identity theft before and it still has our credit messed up...even after 15 years.. even though we have it all fixed.. we get surprises now and then...

·
Registered
205 Posts
You can go to paypal.com to apply for the credit card. I think they have different ways you can do it, as linking to accounts, etc. However, mine is not linked to anything, just a regular credit card that earns points for money that can be applied to your card against a balance if you have one.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I use pay pal for e-bay. But I don't have bank information linked, just credit card. You can sign up without bank information- though they will keep offering you discounts to do so. It' hard to do business on e-baby without it, and I have not had a problem. I have only been active on e-bay for 2 years or so. I do a lot of other business on-line with credit card, and have never had a problem. However I always sign in as guest when I can and don't leave my information. Someone told me that it's easier to get your credit information than paypal. But I wonder if that's because credit is more widespread than pay-pal.

Always good to hear other viewpoints. We need to be as safe as we can, and watch out for scams.

·
Registered
266 Posts
BGL said:
I used to have a Paypal account, "they" restricted it for me years ago, when I used it to have someone from England pay for an antique gun - legally antique by both US and EU laws (mfg 1884, and really obsolete), but Paypal being in Kalifornia, they didn't like it.
They locked my account for 6 months, then after that I was told the only thing I could do is withdraw my $.
I left the $ there for quite a while, they were paying better interest than my bank, but when it dropped to nearly nothing, I took out all but one penny, so my account is technically still alive, I guess.
Now they want me to link an unexpired credit card to it, and I am leery. I had it linked to both a savings account and a valid card back then, but what recommendation would everyone make, in regards to using it again? I have heard other horror stories.
Does anyone know of another safe method, or should we simply mail each other checks or money orders?
I have had good luck with personal checks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom