Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw the neatest thing on Animal Planet! There is a show called "Cats 101", and there is a woman who is a cat groomer. Some Persian owners choose to have their cats closely shaven. this groomer takes the fur and spins in into yarn and makes pocketbooks out of it1 Thought that was so neat, I wanted to share!

Terri

·
Registered
592 Posts
I love that show ... didn't happen to catch the one you're talking about, however. The woman must have more time, than I do ... I have all I can do, just to finish projects with bought yarn, much less making my own, from my cat ! (O)

Happy knitting !

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have a friend who spins and she has spun up some of the hair another friend groomed off of their keeshund. The plan had been to use the yarn to make a coat for the keeshund's buddy - an italian greyhound. Unfortunately, the iggy passed on before it was finished.
I also have been told that cat hair is extremely warm and makes great insulation for winter boots. Was going to try it this past winter but my cats don't seem to shed as much as one would think long-haired cats would...lol

·
Registered
212 Posts
Lol tdiva... Yes, new Hampshire winter was insane this year too. And we just had about 5 inches more dumped on us on April 1st! Mother nature played one cruel April fools joke this year!
Good thing is that it melted fast... Gone already.
And yeah - maybe my cats did need it. They're indoor cats though. Then again - i froze more this year than last - and last year i worked every weekend at a barn where i kept my horse! (shouldn't i have been colder LAST year? Lol)

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
When I was taking weaving classes, a man came in wearing a hat that he had knit from his golden retriever.

My kids adopted a Great Peerinese (sp) this past year. My son-in-law is terribly allergic to dogs. The kids had groomed her and collected a whole grocery bag of white fur. I told them to go get it so that we could spin it and then knit something special for Daddy. We haven't done it yet but just the threat is enough to bargain for hard labor from SIL when needed.

By the way, you really don't want the items done from animal fiber getteing wet. They will smell like a wet dog!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dreamweaver said:
When I was taking weaving classes, a man came in wearing a hat that he had knit from his golden retriever.

My kids adopted a Great Peerinese (sp) this past year. My son-in-law is terribly allergic to dogs. The kids had groomed her and collected a whole grocery bag of white fur. I told them to go get it so that we could spin it and then knit something special for Daddy. We haven't done it yet but just the threat is enough to bargain for hard labor from SIL when needed.

By the way, you really don't want the items done from animal fiber getteing wet. They will smell like a wet dog!
P.U! You are so right about getting it wet! I wonder if there is a way to treat it beforehand, or if it would be good for felting. ide be curious to see what the fur you collected will look like when spun! :lol:

·
Registered
10,079 Posts
Not sure about this...I'd have an aversion to anything made from pet hair and I really don't know why. Maybe it's too much like using people hair? (shades of the Holocaust and/or the Victorian custom of making jewelry from your deceased loved one's hair--bleah!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom