Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have knit a baby sweater out of Loops & Threads yarn I got at Michael's. It is a verigated yarn of white,green and blue. The pattern is Louisa Harding's Boy's Kimono. The pattern requires that I pick up stitches along both sides of the front and the ones along the back which are on a stitch holder then work the neck edging. I have done what the pattern asked and I am disappointed in how it looks. The stitches from the sweater seem twisted. Is it because the yarn is verigated and I am picking up on a curve. I watched how to pick up on Utube, seems like I did it right, but I do not like how it looks. Should I use a very small needle to pick up? Can anyone help me? Thanx

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Sorry you're not happy with the way your stitches look.
If they look twisted to you, try knitting through the back loop on the first row of the stitches you have picked up....maybe that will look better.

I usually use a smaller needle to pick up stitches....seems to make it easier.

HTH...good luck!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your quick response. I am on vacation in Barbados and do not think I can find knitting needles here, so I guess I'll wait 'til I get home. Good thing baby is not due until Feb. 6. Thanx again

·
Registered
15,969 Posts
I have started knitting the button/button hole bands separately and then sewing them on, this takes the guess work out of working out how many sts to pick up per row, and I think it looks a lot neater also you know both bands have equal number of sts.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for you suggestion. Will that work for a curved neckline. The band is continious. Do you think they twist because of the curve? I made this sweater in a solid color and didnot experience the same twisting. Is it because of the verigated yarn that one can notice the stiches are twisted? Will picking up the stitches with a smaller needle (size 2) help with the twisting?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Lois, when I suggested you use a smaller needle I meant to pick up the stitches before knitting them unto the correct size needle.....not actually knitting with the smaller needle but to use it only to facilitate picking up the stitches.....sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi. You know the stitches that I took off the holder along the back are perfect. It's the front of the sweater that is looking twisted. I think I will try again with a much smaller needle as see how it goes. The border is knitted with a 3.75 so I think I'll go down to a 2. What do you think? Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Lois S said:
Hi. You know the stitches that I took off the holder along the back are perfect. It's the front of the sweater that is looking twisted. I think I will try again with a much smaller needle as see how it goes. The border is knitted with a 3.75 so I think I'll go down to a 2. What do you think? Thank you for your help.
If this is so then you are making a twist in the yarn as you pick it up. I have done that a number of times. Either figure out how not to put that twist in or as another said knit through the back loop or the other solution would be to untwist each stitch as you come to it before you knit it.

·
Registered
20,946 Posts
Oh not good! I hate when we aren;t happy with our work.

I use a crochet hook to pick up the stitches and put them onto my needle. I seem to be able to control how many and their twist.

Keep trying.
And enjoy the vaca.
Linda

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Lois-My guess is that when you picked up the stitches, you might have put them on your needle backwards. If that's what happened, you pretty much knit a twisted stitch, which would explain why they look twisted. I would suggest you frog the stitches (being careful not to drop the stitches that had been on the holder) and try it again. As you pick up each stitch and put it on the needle, look at it to make sure it's not on the needle backwards. If it is, turn the stitch the right way. Good luck! Denise PS-Don't go down in needle size. That will just give you more headaches and make you more unhappy with your project. Use the correct sized needles and just make sure they are oriented on the needle correctly.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Pick up your stitches with a smaller needle, but knit with the correct size, just go slowly to make sure you have each stitch facing the right way and that you have all of the plys for the picked up stitch, sometimes when the color changes gradually, the plys may be a different color to make the blend.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom