Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -- Yes, I've learned my lesson, and will always put in a life line in any lace knitting! I'm making some lace leg warmers (which may actually be boot toppers also). I'm using a DK weight yarn and started one with a KnitPicks Option #4 - 40". I stopped about halfway through the lace pattern. I would like to go back to the ribbing and pick up stitches there so I can rip back to the start of the lace pattern. There are a lot of videos on picking up stitches in just knit stitches, put these are K1P1 ribbing. How do I pick up the purl stitches???

I actually started the second one and changed to a Harmony #4 - 40". I can't believe the difference! My stitches are all so uniform, I can't believe that I actually knit them! All goes to show you that it really helps to have a slew of needles to choose from in the same size!!!!

So I need to rip out the lace on the first one! Help anyone???

Thanks, Noreen

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
You pick up purl stitches the same as the knit stitches. If you happen to pick them up twisted, it is a simple matter to untwist them - slip them from one needle to the next, then back in the proper direction.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I need a visual on that! I know how to pick up the one side of the 'v' for the knit stitch. Is the horizontal stitch between the v's the one I pick up for the purl stitch? The purl horizontal stitches are so close together, is there any way to be sure I am getting the corresponding purl loop to go with the knit loop??

Thanks
Noreen

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
I picked up my current project to see how I would describe it and I can understand your confusion. The best way I can say it is that you would pick up the hoizontal bump that is on the same level as the top of the V from the knit stitch beside it. Does that help?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I understand....I'll just have to be careful when I rip it out, incase I miss the correct purl bump. Sure wish there was a video of this! I searched until I was 'blue in the face' on youtube and couldn't find one!
Thanks,
Noreen

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
katkarma said:
Do you go into the bump from the bottom or the top?????
It would depend on whether the row you're picking up is going to be knitted next as a right-side row or a wrong-side row. I don't think you can tell that, so I guess I'd just go in from the bottom, which seems easier to me and then if you guessed wrong you can purl into the back of the stitch if necessary.

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
You have ribbing - you pick up one side of the V for the knit stitch - then turn and look at the back side - you have V's again!!

If you pick up all from one side, then yes, you can go into the bump, inserting the needle from the bottom upwards. If you go from the top downwards, you will twist the stitch - like if you go into the right side of the V vs the left side of the V...

I like the idea posted above that said to rip to a row or two BEFORE the one you really want to rip to, and tink (or unknit) the remaining stitches. That way, you can be sure the row you are starting with for the reknit are all facing the proper way :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom