Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need help with picking up stitches i can never seem to get it neat the pattern says knit 11 from stitch holder of right front pick up and knit 5 stitches evenlyalong right side of neck

·
Registered
10,994 Posts
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips

Near the bottom of this page is a video of picking up stitches.

The main thing is you want to pick up enough evenly spaced that the item still lays flat. so maybe you might need 6 where they tell you 5, then that is OK. Don't try to force it to 5. So when they tell me to pick up X stitches, I consider that just a guideline, I may need more or fewer.

Also to consider is what stitch pattern are you using from there? ie, if you'll be doing ribbing 2k, 2p, make sure you end up with a multiple of 4. Maybe you needed to pick up XX stitches and have an extra stitch (from the multiple of 4) -then I would just stick in a k2tog in the next row, somewhere where it won't show, maybe the back of the neck.

You can also search youtube.com for 'knitting pick up stitches' for some more. Sometimes it takes a couple different people showing you to get it.

·
Premium Member
20,058 Posts
mirl56 said:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips

Near the bottom of this page is a video of picking up stitches.

The main thing is you want to pick up enough evenly spaced that the item still lays flat. so maybe you might need 6 where they tell you 5, then that is OK. Don't try to force it to 5. So when they tell me to pick up X stitches, I consider that just a guideline, I may need more or fewer.

Also to consider is what stitch pattern are you using from there? ie, if you'll be doing ribbing 2k, 2p, make sure you end up with a multiple of 4. Maybe you needed to pick up XX stitches and have an extra stitch (from the multiple of 4) -then I would just stick in a k2tog in the next row, somewhere where it won't show, maybe the back of the neck.

You can also search youtube.com for 'knitting pick up stitches' for some more. Sometimes it takes a couple different people showing you to get it.
I love this site! Watched the video on picking up stitches and found what I'd been doing wrong before - picking up through just one loop instead of two or three. That's why it always stretched and looked 'holey' Thank you so much Marilyn. :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thank you for including the website! My biggest problem is picking up stitches when doing sleeves, collars, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom