Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've got a raft of ideas, but I'm so heavily involved with the plans that I can't see the forest for the trees! LOL!!

Has anyone ever been to one? How did it go? Anything unique that was done, etc.?

As this picnic/campground tends to flood, and one can't predict the general weather that day, it will be here at our home if needed.

Other than that, it will be classic in all senses where possible. Small number in attendance, catered meal (?), champagne and the table fare will see outdoor toys/games that some may enjoy if they want.

I've knitted and crocheted cloths versus napkins, heart mug rugs as coasters, etc., and these items will be wedding favors.

I'll hire a violinist for the wedding trumpet call, processional and recessional, (no soloist at this time) then some easy listening music of his/her choice after the wedding.

Attire will be picnic clothes.

Hand gel for cleaning the hands.

Any other thoughts? Send me some, please and especially fun one!
s
TY!!
~~~~~~

·
Registered
111 Posts
My son was married in the woods--make sure the site is accessible to older relatives. We had to have a service road opened to bring some in. What about bandanas as napkins--can get them in all different colors now. We had pine saplings on the tables and around the cake--maybe you could have potted geraniums or petunias as center pieces --people took them home. We had regular picnic fare for food. The caterers made steak, chicken, hot dogs, hamburgers. This was in 2000 and people still tell me it was the best wedding they have been to. --Still have 3 pine saplings--one is over 20 feet tall now and I had to move them in 2004 when we moved from the house we lived in for 30 years.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My first wedding (hope it's not bad luck LOL)was outside at my parents farm. We had a roast pig that a friend made overnight. Pulled pork, salads, fruit. Casual attire, potted pants and flowers from the garden. Had flowers on the cake, too. Also had lawn games (jarts, horse shoes, croquet.) People really liked the casual feel and were very comfortable. Probably the best part of the marriage :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I got married on the 4th of July so what better way to celebrate than a picnic. We got married at a
the small church down the road from my parents house that I had always attended growing up and then we went back to my their house for a picnic (potluck) reception. We provided the cake and meat and my family provided the rest of the food. It was a lovely day, we played games and had lots of fun. The only thing about the whole affair was my hubby and I wanted to get married in shorts and our mothers both insisted that I be in a dress and he in a suit, so after the wedding we went back and changed clothes. :)

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Sounds like a fun and lovely time. I hope the weather cooperates.

Bubbles could be fun.
If you have electricity a chocolate fountain is always a hit. Fruit, cake cubes.
Rocking chairs set out for wedding pictures.
Ribbons blowing in the breeze

Bandana material for tablecloths. River rocks to hold the cloths down

Wildflowers for centerpieces.

Your favors will be perfect.

SEA

Good Luck

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
((((((((( Wahooo! TY!! ))))))))
SEA said:
Sounds like a fun and lovely time. I hope the weather cooperates.
((((((( It will be here in the house and garage if so. The 39 acre preserve floods, too so if even the weather is good the day of, it might not be presentable!! )))))))

Bubbles could be fun.
(((((((( I walked past those bubble wands the other day = NO PRICE ON THEM, so, I thought I'd check them later. Frisbees, also. Set flower vases on them or just flowers....... )))))))))

If you have electricity a chocolate fountain is always a hit. Fruit, cake cubes.
(((((((( yes, it's a small campground, too with electricity. I'm planning of fruit, too.

Cake cube......? We're going to have icre-cream oreo cake + one other variety. )))))))

Chocolate fountain,
(((((( Yum!!! ))))))))

Rocking chairs set out for wedding pictures.
((((((((( Rocking chairs? Wow!! Pictures.....not sure if done by a pro yet......thinkin'. )))))))

Ribbons blowing in the breeze
(((((((( Hmmm.....Kewl!! bALOONS? lol!!! ))))

Bandana material for tablecloths.
(((((((( I have oil cloth, plastic cloths here....))))))

River rocks to hold the cloths down
((((((((( Ah, there ya go! This creek there is loaded with fossils!!! TY!! Duct tape? LOL!! ))))))))))

Wildflowers for centerpieces.
(((((((((( yes, we talked about wildflowers and also from our gardens. Thought about vegetables, too; Take them home as wedding favors....))))))))))

Your favors will be perfect.
(((((((( I thought so, too and sat this winter and made them! LOL!! ))))))))

SEA (((((((( what's this? LOL!! ))))))

Good Luck
(((((((((THANKIES and THANKIES!! Donna ))))))

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
(((((((((( An, TY, sweetie!! I'll check that website in a bit.

As there might be children attending, Lime Creek Preserve's playground (newer one added about five years ago) will be fun for them after lunch.

Dogs allowed? LOL!!

We're planning on 20 total at the ceremony. I'm prepared to triple that through until the RSVP's arrive!! @@

Colin's relatives are out of the country (UK/Portugal) and in the states; Florida, Texas and New Mexico. It's possible that some of them may make it. Haley has 40 names and I have 20. Some of those may be wedding party, parents, etc., so I'll verify.

Twinkle lights..........hmmm......I could use those for the rehersal dinner, sing-a-long thingy the night before!! We have some, too + Christmas lights.

Glow sticks? LOL!!

The wedding will be a picnic during the day,noon, but there's no reason now to not change it but for the fear factor, eh? LOL!!

Getting it all done by 3:00 p.m., is within the realm of possibility then kick back, dog the honeymooners until they yell, "Uncle!" LOL!!

TTYL!
~~~~~~

SEA said:
Oriental trading is a good place to purchase things in bulk.

http://www.orientaltrading.com/

Bubbles, frisbees etc

Twinkle lights if the wedding goes to dusk.

SEA

·
Registered
289 Posts
e.ridenh said:
Well, I've got a raft of ideas, but I'm so heavily involved with the plans that I can't see the forest for the trees! LOL!!

Has anyone ever been to one? How did it go? Anything unique that was done, etc.?

As this picnic/campground tends to flood, and one can't predict the general weather that day, it will be here at our home if needed.

Other than that, it will be classic in all senses where possible. Small number in attendance, catered meal (?), champagne and the table fare will see outdoor toys/games that some may enjoy if they want.

I've knitted and crocheted cloths versus napkins, heart mug rugs as coasters, etc., and these items will be wedding favors.

I'll hire a violinist for the wedding trumpet call, processional and recessional, (no soloist at this time) then some easy listening music of his/her choice after the wedding.

Attire will be picnic clothes.

Hand gel for cleaning the hands.

Any other thoughts? Send me some, please and especially fun one!
s
TY!!
~~~~~~
When my son and daughter-in-law got married, the rehearsal dinner was a picnic. They rented tents and chairs. They lived on a farm at the time. It was very nice. When my husband and I got married we had picnic food because it was his favorite. We got married on the kids farm under a scyamore tree by the cement pond. We set the tables up in the carriage house so everyone was out of the sun. It was a great day. I tried to atttach a picture but couldn't. My son and DIL used red,white, and blue for their color theme and we used lavendar and purple. We both had the food catered. We changed clothes after the service and really enjoyed the day. A friend is a paster and he married us. We taped "Get me to the chuch on time", the theme from "High Noon' and Elvis' "Hawaiian Wedding Song" for the processional. My son gave me away. Jack's son was best man and my best (60+years) friend was the matron of honor.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,212 Posts
BUG SPRAY!!!!!!
I would make sure there was ever footing for the elders.
Bubbles on every table.
Sounds like great fun,
If I find Mr. Right I think we shall have out wedding outdoors like this. SOunds fun.
Linda

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When my son and daughter-in-law got married, the rehearsal dinner was a picnic. They rented tents and chairs.
(((((((( We talked of tents, also. Good idea! TY!!

The plans, as of last night, are now confirmed that Hal & Colin are talking apples to apples with us! LOL!! UP here, classic wedding arrangement, picnic + picnic themes and we've taken care of two pages of the do list! LOL!! ))))))))

They lived on a farm at the time. It was very nice.
((((((( We live on a full farm set up but on 4.55 acres, large house and plenty of room should the weather or other circumstances dictate it being here. Hal could walk down the stair case. )))))))))))

When my husband and I got married we had picnic food because it was his favorite. We got married on the kids farm under a scyamore tree by the cement pond. We set the tables up in the carriage house so everyone was out of the sun.
(((((( Out of the sun! Yes, great idea!! TY!!

There are covered pavillions at the 39 acre campground/preserve. I'll do a drive-thru 1 May.)))))))

It was a great day. I tried to atttach a picture but couldn't. My son and DIL used red,white, and blue for their color theme and we used lavendar and purple.
((((((( Sounds wonderful!!!

Hal will wear a white sun dress, flip flops with crocheted multi-colored fun fur around them and a veil we will make. It will be my job but I have several pairs already and we're similar in size; Wash/sanitize, etc. )))))))))

We both had the food catered.
(((((((( That's what I'm going to do. Chicken and finger foods = no knives, forks or spoons. ))))))))))

We changed clothes after the service and really enjoyed the day.
((((((((( Change clothes.....good idea. Ev and Colin won't have to, but the others may; Picnic clothes required otherwise; Bring your own lawn chair + an extra. LOL!! ))))))))))))

A friend is a paster and he married us.
((((((( We're thinking JP here.......? ))))))))

We taped "Get me to the chuch on time", the theme from "High Noon'
(((((( LOL!! On time! LOL!! ROFLMBO! (I'm making notes here. @@

Interesting. I'm thinking no soloist but we'd all sing SOMETHING and in the round! LOL!! "Merrily, we're getting married, getting married, getting married......Merrily....." LOL!! ))))))))))

and Elvis' "Hawaiian Wedding Song" for the processional. My son gave me away. Jack's son was best man and my best (60+years) friend was the matron of honor.
((((((( Ooh, this all must have been wonderful!! TY for replying!!
~~~~~~~[/quote]

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
(((((((( +++++++ bug spray - bring your own (@@) + lawn chairs + a spare is on the list lol! bubble wands, frisbees, outdoor toys.

admin just toldme not to use capital letters in my posts so i'm not - have you heard this? i'm thinkin' whoever it was meant all caps. @@++++++++

LEE1313 said:
BUG SPRAY!!!!!!
I would make sure there was ever footing for the elders.
Bubbles on every table.
Sounds like great fun,
If I find Mr. Right I think we shall have out wedding outdoors like this. SOunds fun.
Linda

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
For something fun, how about getting a PINATA, fill it up with your choice of candy, small prizes, or anything else you would like, then have all the guest "SWING AWAY"!! :) And if you do this, play some festive music as they try to hit the pinata.

Rio

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
((((( Ah, muchas gracias, senorita!!

Pinata......filled with......stuff for kids; No candy. I don't want to support their local dentist by inducing the incidence of dental caries! LOL!!

We'll have a few kids and it sounds like some folks will be bringing pets....? What? LOL!! Put dog treats in, too? LOL!!

I know what I'll do, clean the misc out of here and pop it into a pinata. I'll make the pinata, too!

Thanks again!! @@
~~~~~~~
RIO said:
For something fun, how about getting a PINATA, fill it up with your choice of candy, small prizes, or anything else you would like, then have all the guest "SWING AWAY"!! :) And if you do this, play some festive music as they try to hit the pinata.

Rio

·
Registered
697 Posts
WOW you are thinking like my son and Fdil...they are having a very small park wedding in Nashville, TN in November...should be interesting....but I have no idea what to wear, what needs to be done...and the Mother of the bride isn't sharing info. The kids are pretty much planning the whole thing, so I feel like I should say "where do I stand" and be done with it. I'll share ideas as they come in.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
((((((((( Okie, as I'm the MOTB, I took DD's future MIL, Marsha in hand and we walked a bit then I gave her an order from HHC (LOL!):
Marsha, we are equals here, as far as I'm concerned, so: "You are hereby ordered to conduct yourself as you arleady aren't! If you have a thought, idea, concern, speak up as you incur them." We weren't in person but on the phone.

LOL!!

Then, she and I put our heads together with the early planning stages of this picnic wedding inspite of DD's malingering! LOL!!

I wrote the slopy copy on order of sequence for all concerned and sent a master copy to them via e-mail, making notes, too on areas where they are most definitely in the lead and where, as a team, we are in the lead.....noting, too what the bride and groom are responsible for before any of these plans are made solid, etc.

We are making headway and Marsha and I confer via phone, too as she's 1423 miles away when home and probably more now as they're buying a vacation home in FLA (living in NM).

Our theme is PICNIC; Don't do anything that wouldn't be in a picnic except the married part. LOL!!

For a park wedding, it could be more formal for you folks, perhaps?

Ours will be picnic attire with DD wearing a white sundress with a tiny hair veil comb. Her finance will be wearing white Dockers and a polo shirt? If not, slightly dressier but I wouldn't wear a tie to a picnic! LOL!! DD's shoes will be flip flops that I'll crochet around using fun fur with multi-colored nubs in it. She'd change to tenny boppers after the ceremony.

The rings are gifts to them from their parents who got them from their parents; Heirlooms and rexized as necessary.

Food will be picnic food and all finger foods, wine or champange will be in individual lidded bottles so one can take it home and not drink then drive.

Disposable cameras will be given to all with tape/labels to identify their names so as not to mix up who's is whose.

Park attire for you could be anything. I'm wearing a sin dress in navy blue with a white, cute shirt over it; Jewelry to be my garnets. Hubby will wear designer blue jeans and a nice shirt; No tie. I don't know what Marsha and glenn will be wearing.

Our wedding plans are to go from A - Z in classic wedding format but have it picnic in nature, with the small number in attendance to bring in their own lawn chairs for each of them + a spare as we won't have 50 lawn chairs and you can't rent them and I don't want to tote any style or have them delivered.

Pack it in and pack it out on all things, to include garbage/trash; Keep it light. Music will come from vehicle cd players + I will hire a violinist to play the processional, recessional, a solo in there somewhere and easy listening music during the receiving line.

We'll all sing them a song - in the round, too at the end where we will blow bubbles at them: Merrily, you're married, you're married, you're married........ LOL!!

Don't be shy as the mother of the groom; It's early yet in their wedding plans, too; 8 months. If you're only questions is "What to wear?", then you're lucky! LOL!!

I think that clue will come later in the specs on the invitations. Hail your kids, though. Act all excited. Let them talk about it, make it a dialogue.....then ask the question of what to wear as it relates to the bridal party then guests in general.

TY for writing in!!
~~~~~~~~

quote=SDKATE57]WOW you are thinking like my son and Fdil...they are having a very small park wedding in Nashville, TN in November...should be interesting....but I have no idea what to wear, what needs to be done...and the Mother of the bride isn't sharing info. The kids are pretty much planning the whole thing, so I feel like I should say "where do I stand" and be done with it. I'll share ideas as they come in.[/quote]

·
Registered
697 Posts
Yea, pretty much and the younger brother who is 13 is a royal little prince also.! I'm copying these ideas down and will send them after the bride's graduation and their move to Nashville....I don't think anyone is thinking anything but caps, gowns, and passing boards right now.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
(((((((( Hey, did I mention giving each guest/family a disposable camera, too? If I did it, I'd carry a felt pen so they can ID the cam when if setting it down, when leaving, etc., so they don't mix it up with anyone else's.

There's a good chance most folks will carry their digis, but I'm thinking some may forget, so I'll pick up a few and have them near the action early on then they can take them to the other areas in the 39 acrea preserve - campground.
~~~~~~~~~
SDKATE57 said:
Yea, pretty much and the younger brother who is 13 is a royal little prince also.! I'm copying these ideas down and will send them after the bride's graduation and their move to Nashville....I don't think anyone is thinking anything but caps, gowns, and passing boards right now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom